Subdomains Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

clonetrooper9494

Reaction score
I noticed this subdomain limit of 3 after signing up, not that I am going to use more than 3, its just I read about dynamic subdomains. Say I create an account on my site 'john123', my user profile would be accessible at 'john123.mysite.com'. What I read is you need to add a wild card to subdomains(which I don't know how to do) and DNS stuff, and edit your htaccess file(which I do know how to do) so that you can point them to a dynamic page.
Now for the questions:
- Why is there a 3 subdomain limit?
- Will x10hosting allow me to create dynamic subdomains/How would I add a wildcard?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I can't answer for sure on why the limit exists, but I believe it is a server load issue. There are approximately 10,000 accounts per server and if everyone used 3 (some people have many more with upgrades) that's 30,000 subdomains! Not to mention addons and redirects. Every time the server is serving a page, it has to figure out which of those 30,000 is right.

Dynamic subdomains can be achieved using mod_rewrite in .htaccess. You don't have to use a single subdomain in CPanel when using it. For example, mod_rewrite will take this url from the client's computer:

something.site.com

And change it so the server sees:

site.com/something

There are a ton of good tutorials on mod_rewrite, google "mod_rewrite tutorial" and you'll be on your way! mod_rewrite syntax is tricky, but feel free to post in the programming help forum and you'll get all the help you need ;)

clonetrooper9494

Reaction score
Perhaps you didn't read my entire post, I can not use htaccess until I set up wild card subdomains on my domain, which I don't know how to do. I already know what htaccess code I need, its a matter of setting up subdomains with wild cards so that every subdomain request is sent to my home dir. Would any one know how?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry, I misread your first post. A staff member with admin access to CPanel would have to do this for you, if it is allowed. I will try to get this answered for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.