Temporarily disabled for Resource usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntsite

Reaction score
Hello.

I am hosting my website in X10 for 4-5 years. My site is mostly static - just basic flash in main page and gallery with several updates. So my site could be considered stable and static. Visitors are not much. But somehow, after 4 years today I receive a message upon visit about my site got high resource usage withing one hour? I don't think that there is more than 1 visitor during an hour.
I would like somebody from administration investigate and note what exactly caused for high usage?
Website login is same as forum login.

Edit: Server xo1, domain: x10host

Last edited:

caftpx10

Reaction score
As many are getting this issue suddenly, all I could assume is this is a false positive. There is no way that peoples sites could become heavy on resources from out of the blue.

Ohso

Prime Account
Reaction score
With x10's free servers you have to have a little bit more patients (generally true with shared hosting) . I remember when I had similar issues on xo2 it was usually someone spoiling it for everyone using some bad script that made it unstable for the rest. etc. and plus, consider that it can take time for a staff member to find the culprit or reason and deal with the account.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, there is quite a bit of misinformation here.

We've had the high resource usage disabling off for probably over a year if not longer, because we use CloudLinux we actually have a hard limit on what any one user can use in terms of resource usage, so a lot of people got away with using a lot more resources than what we would normally allow for a long period of time. The resource limit we have set with CloudLinux is high, it allows you to burst in terms of resources but prevents any one user from impacting everyone else on the server (save for a DDoS attack). The high resource usage disabling application was made from scratch and thoroughly tested for weeks, before we put it live we found it to only be disabling sites that should have been disabled. As of right now when I'm writing this it's toward the end of the hour so anyone that would be disabled is most likely disabled by now, there is a total of 16 people across all of our free hosting that are disabled right now. That is a fraction of a percent of our user base.

In almost all cases we find that resource usage stems from:
  • Out of date scripts
  • Excessive plugins, themes, addons
  • Poorly coded plugins, themes, addons
  • Not taking security measures such as secure wp-login\xml-rpc so bots drive up resource usage
  • Not keeping a database cleaned up, a forum or Wordpress blog with 50,000 spam users will use a lot of CPU on any user processing
  • Crons that do intense database or other processing
Just because there are a few posts from people with an issue does not mean *everyone* is experiencing an issue or that something is broken.

ntsite, I would check the resource usage graphs in your cPanel to see if a spike is occurring or if it's non stop... this should help you narrow down what is happening.

* Deleted thread jacking posts

Ohso

Prime Account
Reaction score
Thanks for the update... it's good to read up on updated info. It helps prevent members like me from posting blindly.

--edit: also, sorry about that!

Last edited:

ntsite

Reaction score
Hello, Corey. It has been long time we hadn't have discussion. :) I hope you are doing well. Very thanks. I will be waiting for details then.

caftpx10

Reaction score
Makes complete sense now. I apologise for that post that I've created. :p

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I pulled the most recent ~1K hits to your site. Almost all of them are to picture.php in the pshow folder. I can see a few occasions where it looks like what must be a bot hit that file 100 times. For example from this IP: 136.243.36.85

I would guess a similar occurrence of this happening is probably what triggered the disable.

ntsite

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Rmm..I see. Picture.php is default page of gallery. But regarding bots - yes..there are bunch of them. Don't know how to get rid of. I get bogus statistics inside of gallery due to their either crawl or attack. They appeared two years ago.

jackloga

Reaction score
I'm running into this same issue. When the site was temporarily reactivated, I quickly got in and updated my plugins and Wordpress version. There are really only two plugins on the site (one of them Akismet) and the site does not get a lot of traffic. So I guess I'm just wondering if you can pinpoint my issue like you did for the user above because I'm not sure what it is but I would be glad to take care of it if I did. Thanks.

critter74854

Reaction score
Wasn't there a function in cPanel to view the most recent visitors a while back?
If it could be re-enabled that would be a huge plus. I (or we) could see if the site was hammered by an IP and then be able to block it.

Would having HotLink Protection helped in the OPs case?

caftpx10

Reaction score
Wasn't there a function in cPanel to view the most recent visitors a while back?
If it could be re-enabled that would be a huge plus. I (or we) could see if the site was hammered by an IP and then be able to block it.

Would having HotLink Protection helped in the OPs case?
Hotlinking would be one good thing, but really most abusive bots I don't think request images from an external source. I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.