The best forum system?

Anubis

Reaction score
In this post im asking of which system is best, regarding forumsystems. We got a hell lot of them, they have their specialities. Mine is Invision Power Board, because im familiar with all its functions, i have made some skins for it too.

I do not use phpBB because i think its too simple in design and relability, and i dont use Simple Machine, because i dont like the administration system of it. I know about these forums:

- PhpBB2
- PhpBB Olympus
- Simple Machines
- vBulletin
- yaBB
- punBB
- IPB

Do you know any more systems? Why do you use it instead of the others?

-Viper-

Reaction score
Re: The best forumsystem?

I'm not really all that into editing forums, but I used SMF. I found it flexible and easy to use. I found it quite easy to edit and there was a lot of help on hand.

I will always use this forum probably ...

Viper

dharmil

Reaction score

my favrate is Punbb
i love it its fast simple and small

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score

SMF is what I use. It's fast, flexible, easy to use and very easy to modify and skin. Also very secure as far as I'm concerned. Coupled with Tiny portal it makes it very nice to use. I will never change from this software. Best of all it's free.

Alecto

Reaction score

SMF is good for those points, but i much prefer IPB 2.1.X and vBulletin for the User CPs
as for punBB, i think its good, but not enough people know it, so there are less modders and skinners
and phpBB is somthing i hate

t2t2t

Reaction score

umm... I maybe will reget saying this, but... I LIKE PHPBB!

Torch

Reaction score

Best FREE forum in my opinion is SMF. It has most of the features that paid ones have and it surpasses other free forums by far (only one that is almost as good is k4bb but it seems that it's development is currently paused).

Of PAID forums, I would have to go with IPB. Realistically, I think vB is better, but since I once owned license for IPB (but never for vB), I'm really not that familiar with it.

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score

IPB if i can get it with hosting (Not illegal copies). But SMF if i need a free one. PHPBB lacks the "On Hand" forum management / user banning when browsing the forums.

nightscream

Reaction score

Best free one is phpBB2, Because i have the most experience with this

and pay one is vbulletin the best, this is my opinion

jaint

Reaction score

ipb because it has good functionality, easy to mod, and the mods are available for free - even the 2.0 version is free, if you download the trial version. VB is expensive and has to be bought, plus its resource intensive and not very friendly to non tech savvy users. PHPBB is good because its free but it lacks functionality, and you have to add lots of mods in order to make it admin and mod friendly (lack of good and fast and proper admin tools with phpbb)

lambada

Reaction score

I'd have to say that SMF is the best for Mod / Admin side while PhpBB is best for user side. SMF has a neat little feature that allows you to downlaod and install mods right from your installation in one click! For paid i'd go with vB for customer support. Also I don't really like paid ones which used to be free (i.e. IPB)

jonyquest

Reaction score

no. I dont like phpbb because very easy to hack. i dont want anybody hack my site.
I think vbullentin is a good forum but not free. if you like free. use invision forum.
I have some code of phpbb forum and invision. and a vbullentin forum. I can share it.
i hack some mod for phpbb forum and insvision ,vbullentin. it is very easy to install.

I come from viet nam. an i am 17 year old. i cant write english good.
Thank

sakibahmed

Reaction score

One of my favourites is PHPbb2 because it has a lot of MOD's and it is easy to install them.

jkenny

Reaction score

My guess is probably Invision Power Board, the good forums that I visit usually use that. I believe at one point, it was offered in the control panel, and I had installed it, but it got deleted in some sort of update, and now the only choice from the menu is YaBB, which doesn't even match, and the fact that it has a good 20 ads when you first make it.

jonyquest

Reaction score

vbullentin. very very good. I dont want talk again

EsotericSociety

Reaction score

I would have to say that VBulletin is the best forum system. It really depends on your needs though. For instance, if you aren't attracting much traffic PHPBB would probably the best bang for your buck. :dunno:

I prefer the look of VBulletin anyway, I don't know why, I just do. Eventually I am going to use it, but for the moment I am stuck with PHPBB. :happysad:

waster

Reaction score

i love vBulletin ... i think it's more safe

Joker Boy

Reaction score

Yes, I've changed my mind now. vBulletin is now officially my new favorite forum system, though SMF is right behind it just cuz its free :biggrin: