The Democrat Victory; Good for America?

IIN Operator

Reaction score
The Democrats have won a decisive victory in the midterm elections here in the United States, taking control of the House and Governers Association as expected, but they've also done the impossible and knocked off the Republicans in the Senate. Coming into the election, the Republicans had to hold 10 of 33 seats up for election to retain the Senate, but they finished 1 short as the Democrats improved upon their 18-15 record the last time these seats were up in 2000 (which was the last election they took the Senate in) by taking 6 of the 15 Republican seats and retaining every seat of their own. The Democrats won the Senate despite impossible odds against them, which leaves the Republican Party the most decisively defeated any party has been in 74 years.

I would say its good for America that we got out the Republicans. The Republican Party was selling our civil liberties in their paranoid pursuit of "security," granting victory to the terrorists. They took advantage of secrecy to hide inexcusable war crimes from the American people. They hijacked the Supreme Court with justices that don't respect the Constitution (if they did, the cops wouldn't be allowed by the Court to enter homes without announcing their arrival and the penalty for violation is the throwing out of any evidence they might gather doing so, which usually leads to acquittal). The Democrats will either be able to change the country (if Bush cooperates) or the government will do nothing for 2 years (if Bush vetos everything). Either option is better than what the Republicans would have done. As the Democrats said, "Hope and Change have won out over Fear and Smear."

Trixter

Reaction score
Its Definatly a Good thing. The republicans had way to much power!

I Have a Saying The Royal Republicans And The Democratic Democrats.

Basicly this means the Republican way for running a country is Do as i say and dont look at what i do! whereas the Democratic way of running a country is See what im doing for you?Now Do what i say!

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
It's a nice change.. although I do tend to be more of a Republican supporter than a Democrat (except when it comes to issues regarding stem cells, then I'm definitely 100% Democrat), this change will work for the better. There were way too many people who had been re-elected multiple times.. hopefully this will crack down on corruption.

However, if my prediction is right, the Democrats may just screw up the country so much that we'll end up going Republican in the next election (and possibly presidential election)

azntechguy

Reaction score
I voted mostly democrat in the last election (which I turned 18, just a few days before election day). I just hope that they manage to do a better job than the Republicans were able to do and that they do not slip into the "status quo" that the Republicans made over the past decade. I also hope that both moderate Dems and Reps. prevails! I've had too much of conservatives lately.

Reaction score
hmm i don't if teh Democrat is good for America?

but i think is good for America, better than bush.

Bonekhan

Reaction score
Its good and bad:

On the one hand, Bush is Republican and they're Democrat, so it keeps the balance of power in check and Bush can't control them. On the other hand, it'll be extremely hard to pass any laws now :|

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Democrats all the way! The Republicans (actually just George Bush, really) were starting to get on my nerves.