The Infinity Program [Forum]

Medora

Reaction score
Hi.

I hope to receive criticism for my website, The Infinity Program, located at http://theinfinityprogram.com.

The "Guide" linked on the header leads to a FAQ I created specifically for that forum. I used the "View Forum Leaders" page that comes with the software and turned it into the "Staff" page linked on the header, as well.

In accordance to a criticism I receive at a vBulletin Org, I changed the background from a shade of brown to a shade of blue. The idea is that it helps focus attention at the center, where the content is, therefore eliminating, or lessening, the wandering of the eye.

Finally, I authored a modification to vBulletin that enables a different rank image set for each template. I was surprised by the inflexibility of the software in this regard, so I found a way to bypass the limitations through the postbit file.

On the flip side, a few of the concerns I have include the following. I'm wondering if the fixed width (i.e., how "skinny" the pages are) is of notable concern to anyone here? Also, I wonder about the readability of the text. I was wondering if there's a text re-sizer feature available as there is for phpBB3, but the only one I found was designed for vBulletin4, and I can't get it to integrate to my satisfaction. Since I'm speaking of the ability to view the forum differently, too, I am considering a modification that allows for better viewing on mobile devices. Lastly, I wonder if anyone here thinks that the top-side user information alignment above each post is interfering with the flow of conversation.

That said, I don't mean to limit any criticisms to possible problems I point out above. I'm, of course, interested in hearing other points.

Regards,

Kevin

stardom

Reaction score
You got a good grade for SEO.though it is just a forum.
Nice and clean. Looks like you already have tons of traffic :D

mattblog

Reaction score
Did you buy the license for VBulletin? Other than that everything seems fine...

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I like it :D

I'm not personally a huge fan of vBulletin, phpBB has more features and it is free.

~Callum

Medora

Reaction score
Did you buy the license for VBulletin? Other than that everything seems fine...
Yes.

I don't want to sound rude, but I'm just wondering if I did anything to give the impression that I may have not bought the license?

@ Alex Mac: Glad you like it. Even though I use vBulletin now, I'm still a big fan of phpBB. Before I switched near the start of 2008, I used phpBB2 for over six years.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes.

I don't want to sound rude, but I'm just wondering if I did anything to give the impression that I may have not bought the license?

@ Alex Mac: Glad you like it. Even though I use vBulletin now, I'm still a big fan of phpBB. Before I switched near the start of 2008, I used phpBB2 for over six years.

phpBB3 is soo much better than phpBB2, and phpBB 3.1 is going to be soo much better than 3.0 (coming soon). It'll make making and installing MODs loads easier, loads of stuff like that :)

~Callum

Medora

Reaction score
Hi, guys.

I added Pulse Red, a new style that should be more appealing to people who prefer more width to a style. I spent some time customizing the index page. For example, that login form was added to replace the search bar for guests. Also, the welcome message is now closer to the header, since I managed to remove the breadcrumb navigation area only for guests and only for the index page. My main concern at this point is populating the sidebar area with more blocks, to lessen the amount of empty space. What I have in mind is a block showing the latest poll. That said, here are screen shots of the index page of the new style:

http://a.imageshack.us/img821/7940/pulseredheader.png

http://a.imageshack.us/img816/9272/pulseredfooter.png

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I would suggest enlarging the font size. Little bit difficult to read on the light colored background.

Medora

Reaction score
Yes, I would like to give guests and members a choice. I would much rather use percentage to determine size than to input a pt. Unfortunately, it seems that the style system for vBulletin was set up to enter a pt, and my limited knowledge about web design leads me to believe, with no basis, that the task would be daunting. My other alternative is to simply increase the pt, which is something I can easily do, but which I have been hesitant to do for the selfish reason that I do not like how the larger text looks with the rest of the layout.

One more idea that comes to mind is to add a font sizer like phpBB3 has. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get one to work that supports cookies. Also, I read that features which try to duplicate browser functions are discouraged.

Last edited:

Medora

Reaction score
Nice nulled copy of vB. :p
What makes you think that? I purchased directly from the vB website. Do you mean because I removed the version number from the footer? I was told by a vB.com moderator that it is permissible*. For anyone reading, this is what I have in the footer:

Code: