The little dissappointment that let me down

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonline10019

Reaction score
After loving the first few weeks at x10, I find myself with no choice but to consider leaving. The annoying thing is, it's not even my webste that's the problem, it's my blog (if only there were someway to host them on seperate servers).

http://x10hosting.com/forums/free-hosting/139657-site-works-fine-but-blog-loads-really-slow.html

Anyway the purpose of this ost is not to have a rant at the admins as I'm guesing it may not be there fault, but I'm just really dissappointed that such a good host good be let down by mySQL problems.

So anyway, thanks for this host, I will still recommend it as I do love it, but just not for blogs/ anything other than plain html. Anyway thanks again

I do have one favour though to ask the admins, could you not delete my account yet as I'd like to check back ina month or so to see if the issues have been resolved and perhaps send me an e-mail once these issues have been sorted.

jonline10019

Reaction score
They're just temporary, I believe :)

~Callum

seriously? I may just have to eat what I just said :p. I assumed they were but i went on a review hunt and it said x10 has a lot of downtime (mind you this was 2 years old)

are you experiencing the same problems?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The issue is actually some abusers; one of our higher-level staff members has been doing some hunting of his own and finding a lot of users with high-resource-using crons on a 1 minute delay (which isn't allowed anyways), but they're hammering mysql.

He's suspending them as he finds them, and the usual high resource usage script is going at it too - the problem is by the time they get to them, even if they're only 30 seconds late, that's 30 seconds of delayed responses from mysql and it takes a bit to catch back up :(

Rest assured though, we -do- know there's issues and we're working on them as often as we're awake and not stuck at our real jobs :)

Edit: oh, and 2 years ago it wasn't that perfect either; depending when the review was from we had a few different major server maintainence things - it didn't exactly make all of our users happy.

Other reviewers are just angry they broke our TOS and got busted with warez or proxies on their account - there's been PLENTY of those too :)

Last edited:

jonline10019

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, livewire, I think I'll stick to it :) . So will the servers keep going on and off or will there be a way of stopping these abusers altogether? Perhaps stop handing crons out to everyone, only experienced users, or users who request it/ linkback to x10? I only say this as it seems alot features are in the free hosting tariffs, so I'm wondering if people realy do upgrade to premium when the free hosting is so great?

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Free hosting is not a trial for premium hosting. They are completely different and separate hosting packages that x10hosting offers. As for crons, they are not exclusively handed out, they are free to set up in cPanel for any free hosting account user. The terms of service gives the guidelines for cron use.

jonline10019

Reaction score
Free hosting is not a trial for premium hosting. They are completely different and separate hosting packages that x10hosting offers. As for crons, they are not exclusively handed out, they are free to set up in cPanel for any free hosting account user. The terms of service gives the guidelines for cron use.

huh? I know they're seperate parts, livewire mentioned how you lot have real jobs to get to and I was trying to suggest more ways to monetize x10 as I don't see how you're going t get premium sign ups when free accounts offer so many features?

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Because Premium is VERY fast, and free hosting can be slow at times :)

~Callum

jonline10019

Reaction score
Yes but shouldn't free provide the best service possible but with limited features, that way more people are likely to upgrade to premium instead of going somewhere else for example. Do you know what I mean? For example if I am thinking of upgrading I may think that the service is unreliable and slow so I should go elsewhere...

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
We try to provide the best service possible, but there is just too many people running proxies :(

~Callum

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
As it has been said, even though there is a path to easily move accounts from free hosting to paid hosting, they are managed as two different services. A bit like the many different shops owned by TJX Companies (Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc.) What is offered and the quality of the hosting in free hosting vs. paid hosting should not be seen as free being a trial or preview of paid.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes but shouldn't free provide the best service possible but with limited features, that way more people are likely to upgrade to premium instead of going somewhere else for example. Do you know what I mean? For example if I am thinking of upgrading I may think that the service is unreliable and slow so I should go elsewhere...

Well, if you (or others) want a look to see how fast x10Premium is compared to the free hosting along with Uptime, give my site a shot. I'm not on Premium hosting, just a free user though I am on the staff server. Take note of the page generation times on both installs of SMF found at the bottom of the page.

http://seansite.dyndns.org/forums (SMF 2.0 Beta 3)
http://blog.seansite.dyndns.org/ (Wordpress)

Compare that to a test install of the same version of SMF I have on Starka, but with a clean database and hostname lookups disabled...

http://seansite.x10hosting.com/test (SMF 2.0 Beta 3)

I know the free servers being loaded down a lot is annoying, and yes looks can be deceiving when it comes down to Paid vs. Free. It's due to the proxies for the most part, which are of course being dealt with as fast as possible (new accounts are being registered daily so it seems just to use a proxy on). I can't see the server load on the free servers, so as to what is causing the slower operation, whether CPU load or MySQL load, I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.