The Merit of "This or That"-type Polls and Threads

Do forum thread presrnting a "This or That" type question have merit?

• Yes, they are a useful tool for decisions and debate.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they are an excuse for one-line answers and forum fluff.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, but it is completely dependent on the topic.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

voice

Reaction score
After much consideration (and a failed attempt at satire on the topic...), I have decided to post a thread to debate the merit of "This or That"-type polls and threads. After much reading and observation in Crossfire, I have noticed that the formula, so to speak, for a successful debate thread is to post a thread where you pit two, and only two, examples from a subject and give your debate audience a simple choice: This or That? WoW or Guild Wars? Windows XP or Windows Vista? Tiger lilies or Queen Anne's Lace? (Well, the last one seems unlikely...) In almost every case, there are, in life, more choices than the simple "This or That" presented, but a thread simply asking the comprehensive question "What is the best OS and why?" would likely fizzle out much faster than a thread asking the much more limited question "Which is better, Windows XP or Windows Vista?"

So... enough with the intro, on to the topic:

Does a forum thread asking a comprehensive question (e.g. What is the best Italian dish?) have more value and merit than a forum thread asking a limited, "This or That"-type question (e.g. Do you prefer pizza or spaghetti?)? Why?

-J

EDIT: I apologize for the typographical error in my poll, but I cannot seem to fix it... Presenting... presenting...

Last edited:

shaunak

Reaction score
Depends on the subject or topic.

Topics with just binary choices are better decided with - this vs that threads.
For example choosing a mobile phone. Most people would probably go with either Sony Erricson or Nokia. Each brand has its pluss'es and minuss'es which are reflected through out their product range. Also you would be deciding on a phone according to your needs. You just need a quick comparison between the manufacturers. So a this vs that poll apt for such topics.
Obviously if you were estimating the avarage forum age then a above 30 vs below 30 poll would be senseless.

Last edited: