The Physics of Quicksand

dhruv227

Reaction score
FOR THE COMPLETE ARTICLE CLICK HERE

Next time you're traipsing around in a wet, sandy, unfamiliar area, you had best be on your guard for the exotic material known as quicksand. If you're not careful, you could lose your life. Or much more likely, a shoe.

Quicksand is one of the staple environmental hazards in cartoonish low-budget movies, where it has been known to quickly swallow unwitting persons as they wander through jungles and deserts. It is usually represented as a deep pool of sandy goo which blends in with its surroundings, lying in wait to slowly suck in anyone who

dhruv227

Reaction score
check out the delhi online forums regularly, i keep adding regular interesting stuff there.

zen-r

Reaction score
dhruv227, if you're going to copy verbatim someone else's article, shouldn't you state the original source/ author? Otherwise it looks like you are trying to pass this work off as your own ;

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=320

Ignoring this misdemeanour (if I can) I have a couple of thoughts on this interesting subject.

Firstly, there is one very real danger not mentioned in the article. Many people have become stuck in quicksand or mud-flats around beaches or tidal estuaries etc, & then the tide has come in & they have drowned. Here is one such story (with a happy ending in this case :) ) ;

Pensioner pulled from quicksand

I have heard of cases in the UK where even a team of rescuers around a stuck person haven't been able to free them in time - the suction effect around their body has been that great.

Also, the nature of quicksand reminds me of the weird properties of cornflour (cornstarch). When mixed with water, it forms a dilatant. If you stand still on a pool of this mixture, you would sink into it - it is soft & "flows". But you can also run quickly across the surface of it, or hit it with a hammer - the greater the force, the harder/ more viscous it becomes!

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Last edited:

dhruv227

Reaction score
hi zenr,
this article was forwarded to me by a physics teacher, so i don't know the article's source.

dhruv227

Reaction score
ok then, ny wayz it's in the forum anyway, if it had been in the main site i would have added the source.

Steeevoe

Reaction score
Putting unkown source tells people its not made by you, so that would help.

(You can always put posted by you after it)

Zen-r! Did you watch Brainiac? It's been a while since I have seen it but in one episode they where running across custard as it has the same properties as your corn flour!

zen-r

Reaction score
Hehe.

No I didn't see that one, but I noticed something similar the other day on The Gadget Show. Gail Porter managed a quick dash across the surface - though I'd rather have seen her get a dunking!

Last edited: