The Signature Shop

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
What do you guys think of my new site idea, the signature shop (click the link in my sig)? The way it works is that if you want a sig, you can chose a premade design and have your name put in. It stays your own, and the original offer for that design is taken down. I have all the forms working, and I'm welcoming some suggestions. Please don't test the forms by filling in fake information, though, I've done that to death :D.

LHVWB

Reaction score
Its a little bit bland, you could add a menu and some more content pages. Also your index page extends beyond your signature options for some reason.

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
I know it extends very far, that's one of the problems I've been having. I wanted that left bar, which is its own div, to be 100% height but that doesn't seem to be a possibility. I've searched around but none of the solutions worked, so I simply made it very very long, so that when I add more sig designs there will still be room.

Jesse

Reaction score
I suggest you improve on the layout of the website. Also the sigs are not so good...

sunils

Reaction score
Lot of empty space at the bottom. Need to include more signature. I think only a little are interesting one.

satheesh

Reaction score
Nice site.
Use table to the image.
clear empty space at the bottom

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
Tables are deprecated for formatting usage, unfortunately for me because I liked them :). If anyone can help with the empty space at the bottom, or for that matter offer suggestions of how to design a good sig/banner that would be much appreciated (with rep :).

EDIT:
Also, I'd like to get an idea of the prices I should be asking for these. Right now they're set pretty low, as low as I feel willing, but they might be worth less or more. I don't really know the value of credits all that well, so help in that department would be nice as well.

Last edited:

bunguer

Reaction score
Well the signatures are not that good, maybe you should try to improve your skills before asking credits for them? Because right now I am not sure if you are going to get a lot of credits out of them.

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
Yes but how, you can see that "improve your skills" isn't particularly helpful.
Edit:
Hey I've done the math and found out it's almost impossible to make enough for a domain in this way, so I'm closing down the sig shop in a few days. I have put some time into making all these, though, and I'd like them to see use. You can get one for free using the order form, all prices have been set to zero.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes but how, you can see that "improve your skills" isn't particularly helpful.
Edit:
Hey I've done the math and found out it's almost impossible to make enough for a domain in this way, so I'm closing down the sig shop in a few days. I have put some time into making all these, though, and I'd like them to see use. You can get one for free using the order form, all prices have been set to zero.

Sorry to hear that it's closing down but I do think I found the problem that's causing your page to be so large at the bottom:

Code:
<BODY background="bluecloud.gif" style="height:100%">
<div style="float:left; background-image: url(/cloudsidebar.gif); width: 60px; height: 2000%">
First line's fine (the body tag). The div below it is causing a major headache though.

The background height in the div is set to 2000% - that seems to be making the graphic insanely huge which is resulting in the dead space at the bottom of the site.

128*2000%=2,560. It's making an extremely large background image, which happens to be taller than the content currently on the page, so it stretches it.

Again, sorry it's being closed down. Some of the signatures are cool but theres a few in there that look way too easy to create, which defeats the purpose a bit. That rogue <div> is what made the page so big though - it looks like it's just got one too many zeros, cause 200% would make it 256 pixels instead of 2,560. Hope that helps for the future at any rate :)

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
I did that on purpose. I tried 100% but it stopped at the bottom of the viewport, if you scrolled down the sigs wrap around it, and it looks ugly.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm...This is one I'll have to look at then, maybe it wants the background image in the body tag.

I'll see what I can find out, but that does explain why it was set to 2000% :)

Edit: Looks like it just wants it in the <body> tag, or something like this:

Code:
<style type="text/css">
body 
{
background-image:
url('bgdesert.jpg')
}
</style>
in the <head> section so it applies it to the rest of the document.

If you need the image resized, I'd just resize it in paint rather than trying to make the browser do it, that seems to be part of the problem :(

Last edited:

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
Yep but there are 2 separate background images. That one is only 6px wide or so and is in the left DIV... at 100% it should stretch with the page but does not. Then there is a plain background, which I think is the body BG.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
:S

NOW it's getting complicated, and it's officially outside of anything I've done without tables (anything similar I did had a giant table column down the left for just such an image)...

Not honestly sure how to fix it :(

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi,
Nice idea.

The font for the text needs improvement, say a san serif font, try a few out! It also needs to be made more exciting.

The sample signatures could be improved, look around on the web for other approaches.

The style you use for the site name, the Signature Shop, is for me, better than the sample signatures!

Great idea - keep with the program!

Best regards

Last edited: