Thought i would let you know

AquariumHobbyist

Reaction score
i recently ran a little test to see what difference i saw in my site being hosted by X10 and a paid host with a .com domain.

1. pay for hosting versus free on x10, big difference !!
2. visits by google, bing, yahoo, ask, and other search engine traffic. no difference.
3. visits by other people, such as potential members, twitter, facebook, and google+ visits generated by posting there, no difference.
4. actual member sign ups, slow..but the topic of my website is slow on most all other such websites as well. no difference.
5. website up time, performance, etc. no noticeable difference.

conclusion= why pay for web hosting when X10 is willing to provide seemingly the same service for free. :)

AquariumHobbyist

Reaction score
TMD Hosting. No complaint about the hosting company, just no noticable differences. hope my site comes back online soon. :) i may have to move back to TMD, not sure why this happens sometimes, says SMF cant connectto the server. ???

channelw

Reaction score
TMD Hosting. No complaint about the hosting company, just no noticable differences. hope my site comes back online soon. :) i may have to move back to TMD, not sure why this happens sometimes, says SMF cant connectto the server. ???
That issue should be resolved soon. I too am having issues.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's generally just usage (when the MySQL server isn't actually reporting down). That is one of the many drawbacks to Free Hosting*; you're even more at the mercy of your "noisy neighbours" than you usually are on paid shared hosting plans. Sometimes heavy usage on your server gets in the way (heaven forbid that anyone on your server ever get slashdotted); just as often it' somebody's hand-crufted script using much more memory than it should or making (literally) hundred of database calls just to build and serve a single simple web page. When it works and everybody is playing nicely together in the sandbox, Free Hosting here is great, but it's nowhere near reliable enough to run a business on (and it's not meant to be).
* Most of the other drawbacks are technical; there are a lot of things turned off or restricted on the Free Hosting servers in order to prevent abuse that may prevent legitimate scripts from running. When there's no money on the line and no accountability (you can set up an account using a throwaway email address), people are tempted to try all sorts of nasty things, so trust isn't going to get x10Hosting very far -- the servers here used to get blacklisted pretty regularly.

channelw

Reaction score
It's generally just usage (when the MySQL server isn't actually reporting down). That is one of the many drawbacks to Free Hosting*; you're even more at the mercy of your "noisy neighbours" than you usually are on paid shared hosting plans. Sometimes heavy usage on your server gets in the way (heaven forbid that anyone on your server ever get slashdotted); just as often it' somebody's hand-crufted script using much more memory than it should or making (literally) hundred of database calls just to build and serve a single simple web page. When it works and everybody is playing nicely together in the sandbox, Free Hosting here is great, but it's nowhere near reliable enough to run a business on (and it's not meant to be).
* Most of the other drawbacks are technical; there are a lot of things turned off or restricted on the Free Hosting servers in order to prevent abuse that may prevent legitimate scripts from running. When there's no money on the line and no accountability (you can set up an account using a throwaway email address), people are tempted to try all sorts of nasty things, so trust isn't going to get x10Hosting very far -- the servers here used to get blacklisted pretty regularly.
The MySQL server was reporting as down. So it's a server issue yet to be resolved.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The MySQL server was reporting as down. So it's a server issue yet to be resolved.

A server doesn't have to be "down" down in order for a failure to be reported; if you're essentially being DoSed by other users, you'll get the same result.