Tips for Adverts using a Wordpress Blog

bookwise

Reaction score
Lately I have had a headache figuring out how to put banners and google adsense onto my blog. I have had a few breakthroughs though so here's a few tips that I have found useful.

Finding and Using Plugins
  1. Search. First check out the official Wordpress plugins page for free plugins. I used a search using the keyword google adsense.This search delivered three pages which is a lot of plugins to trawl through.
  2. Selection. I made my decision based on two factors. One compatibility with the version of Wordpress I am using and how stable the plugin seemed to be. I choose random-ads and all in one adsense and ypn. Sure there could be better plugins out there but both of these have been around awhile and all in one adsense and ypn has over 30,000 downloads so its been pretty well tested.
  3. Installation. Both these plugins were easy to install by just uploading to the wp-content folder and then activating from the plugins menu. random-ads requires a bit of messing with a text file but it is easy stuff.
  4. Application. Random Ads works great. I have used it in several ways since installing it. I used it to create a revolving banner for my footer. I have used it with a group of banners on the sidebar. Just requires the script to be entered into a text file and the pipe symbol used as a separator. I am currently working on a revolving banner for the header. With the all in one adsense and ypn I have found it great to control the use from one central area. I have set it to show a different number of ads on the home page as the post pages. I have also found that I have had to use the competitive filter option with google adsense as some of the stuff coming up was not relevant. Between that and installing the Wordpress all in one seo plugin I am now getting closer targeting of google adsense.
  5. Bugs. Nothing to speak of except a conflict with my theme. I found that by reverting back to the default theme to test drive I could iron out this problem more easily. I have also realised that it it is important to keep track of the different plugins I am installing and test them thoroughly cos there is a lot of them now and some conflict quite badly with each other. I have started using a table in a word document to record plugin name, installation date, and how I checked to make sure it was working. Better safe than sorry eh?
If you would like to see these in action check my blog at http://blog.toycollectornz.com

;););)