To be or not to be...

Pantalassa

Reaction score
That is the question.

I don't know how to begin, but I will try. Why there are plenty of crap free hosts out there? I don't get it. The answer should be simple and easy (because they are free!!!!!), but it's more complicated than that.

People think that are entitled to offer the worst pieces of garbages and everyone should be happy to accept without hesitation. They think they are doing us a favor! C'mon!!! Like they are slaves, or the victims, and we are the villains! Now, how stupid is that? :nuts:

I will resume this thread for those who are not willing to read everything: if people are not happy with your service, or any services and products out there (and I mean all kinds), they will not hesitate to look for something better and you will do nothing but waste your resources, and our time. In fact, companies who are not even a bit interested on improving what they are doing for free, are also loosing potential paid consumers. That's obvious. If you offer something bad for free, why someone will bother to look the paid version?

First of all, why there are those who insist on offer just a few megabytes from space and (this is incredible!) just a hundred megabytes of bandwith/month? That doesn't make any sense (if you're trying to make a successfull page). If you are doing just a single index page with a picture of yours, of your dog, this is enough, but never if it's something serious (and professional).

And why does everyone think that the best thing a host should offer is exactly too much space and bandwith (on the other side)? Is that really the best everyone should offer? What about the other real essencial aspects?

The same question should be asked for email services. Why does everyone think that space it's the only reason to sign up?

Why there are just a few hosts which suports PHP out there? And most of all, CGI? I can see hosts which supports PHP but with very restrictions. If you find one! The chances of finding a cheap and crap host which supports only HTML is much higher than PHP.

Now, the worst of all are those who only allow english websites. Some of them, like Freehostia, are racists and even block users from other countries from even accessing (I am not talking about making new registers) to your website hosted by them. Why these people have to be so stupid?

At least here two more languages are allowed and according to some threads (something I need to confirm since the TOS is not clear about it), it's open to negociations if you have plans to translate the contents of your page. I feel sorry for those who restrict the access from other countries and even languages by all means.

Let's see, there are those who are not even listening to complaints and only care about making profit and money from users. For god sakes, no more hosts filled with ads! They are very annoying! If you can't survive without make your hosted pages look like a christmas tree, then close it for good! That's the best thing you should do.

No one is happy with the idea of placing stupid ads on their pages. If it's something simple on the bottom of the page, like a Copyright advice, I fully support. But if it's something like Tripod, no one will like it.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend and he said me that his host was almost like x10 (without these silly restrictions you made here). But he also said that a few days after the page was there, they have placed text-links (ads) in the middle of the page! I saw it and I didn't believe it! And there's no way to remove them (not even placing them on the top, or the bottom).

In fact, these hosts who are only interested in making profit, despise its own users. For example, some services have a place where people report abuses. I don't think someone (if not the admins) really honest should take time to harm others and feel great about it. For me, people like that are nothing but cowards. And what about the privacy policy, huh?

x10 was one of the only places where the PP is good. All others have no restriction to turn over all your data if required, making a fishing expedition if third-parties or authorities simply ask for it. Almost every single one of these hosts are doing things like this in order to protect themselves (if you take time to read the TOS).

About complying and turning over the data, I suggest you read all these links, in order to understand what I am trying to say. Specially the second and third.

First link

Second link

Third link

Last link

On the other hand, inactivity limit is good, and the option to remove your own account on the cpanel is good (since data retention is bad), but not a very brief time like two-weeks (and here is even worse, because the two weeks have nothing to do with log into your account, they are related to log into these boards!). That means if you never update your account, it will be activated if you are always coming back to these boards, which doesn't make any sense. :lockd:

But from what I can see, people are happy about suspend accounts and users here, it's something that becomes a trademark ® from x10Hosting. I don't believe anyone wasn't suspended even once since created an account here. It's necessary to have such restrictions? Perhaps. Others don't have it. If the admins are only concerned about themselves, then something is very wrong.

No one will be happy to see his own page closed or suspended suddenly, losing visitors even for a few hours just because forgot for a brief period of time, to make a simple login. And since people are only concerned about suspending others, it's very risky to have faith on such system.

But the issue here is not if A is better than B. I am not creating this thread to criticize A or B.

That's not the point!

I believe that every free host services sucks a big deal, for any trivial reasons. You will always find something good like X10, but every single time you will also find reasons to be desapointed. Something that A doesn't have, B does. You will check B, and B is worse than A.

Frankly, I am sick and tired of searching for something really good. Should I use paid services? No doubt. I have used once. But why in the hell these companies spend their resources and money just to provide so many worthless junks?

That, not even Freud can explain. ;)

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
hey i have been thinkin about this from long time so ya its true why they make it

i have been using other free host they are all rubish then i find out about x10 hosting its the best thts all i know, other rubish hosts they waist there time and others if there is a bit freedom like here ya its cool but the way they do it its waist of money for them and waist of time for us, and about paid hosting,,, paid hosting is better bcoz your site is online all the time there is no problems, if u have free hosting then allways something goes wrong mysql down our server down blah blah blah.

Swiblet

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure you can understand that. The paid servers are probably supported by the most expensive software, the most expensive computers with the most expensive Xeon processors...and since the administrators wouldn't want to be on the street, they have to buy cheaper equipment and systems for the free hosting. Besides, if a site is THAT important that someone will notice if those RARE problems happen...chances are, the owner is making enough money off of the site to pay for the paid hosting in the first place. That's the way I think of it.

I think free hosting is a great way to warm up to webmaking. It is necessary for anyone that wants to learn PHP, since the on-computer PHP programs always seem to cause problems. And things like personal blogs...those don't even need half of the features included in X10. Really, free hosting is a great idea. And when a person really needs the 100% or close uptime...paid hosting will only set him back a little bit ^_~

~~B3N