TOS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
First, a little background. I am a member of, and website admin for, a small paranormal investigation group. As we are a not-for-profit group, we had been hosted on donated space on a private web server. Two weeks ago, our host pulled the plug and literally packed up and left the city without a word. In a mad rush to get back online, I put our site back up under an add-on domain under my free hosting account while we evaluate our options.

Now, after all that hard work, I don't want to get suspended for an inadvertent TOS violation. Reading the TOS:

"Personal accounts are to be used by the primary owner only. Personal account holders are not permitted to resell, store or give away web-hosting services of their website to other parties. Web hosting services are defined as allowing a separate, third party to host content on the owner's web site."

It seems to me like I am in the clear here, but I want an official opinion. The team has been briefed that we may need to go to paid hosting, so that is an option. Also an option would be placing a banner ad for x10 on our home page and/or Forum.

Thanks.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but exactly what is it that you want an official opinion on? Just copying and pasting a section of TOS doesn't say anything about what you want to know. So what is your question?

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you saying that you are hosting the website of a group you belong to as an add on to your Free Hosting Account?

And you are afraid that:

Personal account holders are not permitted to resell, store or give away web-hosting services of their website to other parties. Web hosting services are defined as allowing a separate, third party to host content on the owner's web site."

means that you are breaking the T.O.S. ?

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
Yes, descalzo's got the gist of what I am asking. I mean, technically I'm a part of the group and their webmaster, so that's not third party hosting IMO. I just want to make sure I've got it right.

Last edited:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
I would think that would be acceptable, as you are a part of that website (so it would not be a "separate, third party").

This isn't an official statement, just my own opinion on the matter, but I am sure that others would agree with that statement.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
^ Same. Not official. But consider it acceptable.

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, that's helpful. I'm less nervous about it now.... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.