Traditional Shotokan Karate Association

NattyFido

Reaction score
www.tskathanet.co.uk
This is a website for a friends karate club here in Thanet (Margate, Ramsgate, Broadstairs and surrounding villages).
I created it with HTML and some simple CMS style scripts. It is not perfect, or finished, but I am getting there slowly.
Any criticism or comments welcomed.

NattyFido
TSKA : Thanet Admin

Last edited:

RRJJMM

Reaction score
Hi:

The site has clear content with a simple, straight forward layout. A few relatively simple touches with CSS could make it look much more professional. Here are some ideas:

There is too much white space. This can be a problem since lots of people these days are buying big, bright monitors that will make all that white really hard on the eyes.

Consider limiting the width of the "main content" div and giving it a background color (or light gray) just a little darker that the site background. This defines an area of interest on the screen that looks much nicer than text that sprawls across the entire window.

Consider a background or border for the header (including the main menu) that visually sets it apart from the rest of the content.

Make the font size bigger on the main menu. You want people to look around the site, so make their options stand out.

Where the main menu item has several pages, put links to the other sections at the top of each page. For example, someone that finds themselves looking a the Sensei page (perhaps landing there from a link on a search engine) may not go to the Senei menu item (as you have it now) to discover that there is a Photos and News Clippings section. There should, therefore, be obvious links to these at the top of the main Sensei page.

You have a nice start. Check out some of the other sites on the forum and you can get some additional ideas for how to make it a little more eye catching.

Cheers,

sunils

Reaction score
Its simple. Good start. I have a few suggestions for the site.
The home page could be fitted in a single screen itself (ie to avoid scrolling)
Lot of empty spaces are present.
The menus are good, but the curves under the menu was not perfect, they look like hand drawn.
The peoples picture also had rugged edges.

These were visible in one look.

JuniorD

Reaction score
good for a beginner. you need to cut out the people in the photos better.

NattyFido

Reaction score
Thank you for all your comments.

Since creating the website, I have learned a little more CSS (by looking at some free templates). I will be updating the layout soon.

Dean