Transferring an old email account to a new email account Cpanel

Was this helpful to you?

• Total voters

no2nsa

Reaction score
WILL DO STEP BY STEP IMAGE GUIDE SOON :)
This was written up quickly so people could learn the basics but I'm currently editing the images for the step by step guide.

How to: First you would have to create a new email account that you plan to transfer all the current old emails and account information to. This may look long but once you've managed to handle this you can have experience in the future on transferring and moving different email accounts. You can do this threw SSH/Shell Access but for that you might need to watch the Tutorial video If you have no understanding on what SSH/Shell Access does. Tutorial here > https://www.cpanel.net/media/tutorials/ssh_lo.htm To access SSH/Shell Access you can log into your cPanel and scroll down to Security and you will see an Icon looking like a black Command box
2zybg3c.png
. I'll give you a guide taken from cPanel that someone has posted on how to do this threw SSH/Shell Access.

SSH/Shell Access (best to backup the old email account to your desktop first)
You could do:

Code:

cp -R /home/username/mail/mydomain.com/abc/{cur,new}/ /home/username/mail/mydomain.com/xyz/

Above please replace username with the cPanel username, mydomain.com with the domain name, abc with the old email user's name, and xyz with the new email user's name. This will copy the cur and new folders on the abc account to that xyz account. Since maildir formats have each email individually named, this shouldn't overwrite any emails on the new account.

Of note, you might want to backup the mail folder before doing the above:

Code:

cp -R /home/username/mail /home/username/mail.bak

Again, please replace username with the cPanel username for the account.

Source content from via https://forums.cpanel.net/f43/how-move-mails-another-email-account-same-cpanel-195971.html

You can also do it threw FTP (File Transfer Protocol): (best to backup the old email account to your desktop first)
First of all you will need a program that allows you to drag and drop files from your mail directory. You can use many of programs but I'll list a few that x10hosting provide in the FTP Accounts configuration section. FileZilla for windows , Core FTP for windows , Cyberduck for mac. Now once you have the FTP Downloaded you will need the Connection Information to get Into your website directories. You can do this from cPanel > FTP Accounts > Configure FTP Client and then You will see:

FTP username: connect@yourdomain.com
FTP server: ftp.yourdomain.com
FTP & explicit FTPS port: 21
The password you should already know... If not change the password and then connect. If you are wondering how is it possible to change a password that I don't even know... I thought the same thing until I noticed when you go to FTP Accounts then Change Password It allows you to change it without having to validate the old previous password.

This is where the Information should be added: (FileZilla Image Preview)
2mo83d3.png

Another way to connect to FTP:
You can go to the same location you was at before In cPanel > FTP Accounts find the account you want to connect to and then on the right hand side click Configure FTP Client. If you are using one of the provided FTP Programs I listed above then you can continue doing this step by step. Depending on the program you picked for example you picked FileZilla you will see in the Configure FTP Client section it says FTP Configuration File - Instructions (new window) right now that you see this click and download the FTP Configuration File and store it onto your desktop. Then click Instructions (new window) and read threw the instructions until you have managed to connect to your FTP Account.

Always remember to backup the old email account to your desktop and make sure you have a new Email account created otherwise you will have no directory folder to transfer the old email files to. I hope this was helpful to anyone who needs to move emails and such Information to a new Email account. Please contact me If I've missed anything! Thank You :)

Last edited: