Troubleshoot Please

jaco_don

Reaction score
Well I am not able to figure out whats the problem ...

But when ever i connect to internet .. my PC becomes very slow for initial 5 to 10 mins and later sometimes in between while I am working ...

This problem only occur if I connect to internet

System Config ..

OS XPSP2
Dual Core 2.8 Ghz
1GB RAM

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
So it's the computer itself or the connection? It sounds like a pretty nice computer for a simple task such as web browsing to make it choke. One thing I'd check personally is the internet cache, see if any toolbars/crapware is running, and the other basic PC maintenance. If it's internet lag, take a speedtest when it's running slow and compare it to when it's running fast and see if there is a latency issue OR a speed issue, or both. Also another thing I'd check is your CPU usage. When you open up the internet, open up the Task Manager and hit processes, and sort it by CPU time so that the processes consuming more CPU are at the top. Recently, there was a known issue with Automatic Updates especially with Windows XP (Windows 2000, not so much, Vista unaffected) that chews up CPU and RAM like crazy that Microsoft did patch (but you may have missed the hofix). If something like svchost.exe is using 99% or near 50% of the CPU for a long time, then Automatic Updates is being most likely stupid on you. This is definately the case if the svchost.exe file is using 80,000+k of memory and bouncing up and down a lot especially past 100,000k . Don't try shutting it down though, your system might go into a critical state and reboot. If this is the case, post here and I can tell you how to fix this.

Last edited:

jaco_don

Reaction score
Yup thats the problem ... I just checked it well there are actually 6 svchost.exe running ... here is the screen shot

2737052431_20743ef0dc.jpg

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, ok. So you took that when the computer was running slow, right? The System Idle Process is nothing to worry about no matter what it is doing really. If that was when the computer was running slow, I can't see what the problem might be away from the internet connection.

worldwise001

Reaction score
svchost.exe is a Windows program capable of a number of networking functions, so it is normal to see about 6 of them in your task manager list. The key is, as Smith said, whether it is taking up a lot of Memory/CPU resources, which apparently from the screenshot is not.

The following tasks are what would trigger an "investigation needed" flag in my opinion (just so you know what is on your system, and what shouldn't be there):
igfxpers.exe
hkcmd.exe
crypserv.exe
rediffmessenger.exe
NMBgMonitor.exe
rthdcpl.exe <-- guessing that is sound card helper service, ie for diff sound configurations

Also, I notice you have McAfee installed; this could also cause a slowdown depending on your Security settings and/or the speed of your hard drive, especially if you have On-Access Scan enabled, as that can cause your computer to feel "sluggish" even when it is a high-end/new system.
McAfee processes I know of:
McShield.exe
FrameworkService.exe
VsTskMgr.exe
SHSTAT.exe
McTray.exe

Interesting note: I recall McAfee having an UpdaterUI.exe not a UdaterUI.exe...

Others are general necessary Windows processes. Wuauclt.exe is Windows Update. naPrdMgr.exe is the nVidia helper service; disabling this will make your games/3D apps/video stuff run noticeably slower.

Type any of these into Google to find out what they result from.

Last edited:

jaco_don

Reaction score
Also, I notice you have McAfee installed; this could also cause a slowdown depending on your Security settings and/or the speed of your hard drive, especially if you have On-Access Scan enabled, as that can cause your computer to feel "sluggish" even when it is a high-end/new system.
McAfee processes I know of:
McShield.exe
FrameworkService.exe
VsTskMgr.exe
SHSTAT.exe
McTray.exe

Interesting note: I recall McAfee having an UpdaterUI.exe not a UdaterUI.exe...

Others are general necessary Windows processes. Wuauclt.exe is Windows Update. naPrdMgr.exe is the nVidia helper service; disabling this will make your games/3D apps/video stuff run noticeably slower.

Well so should I disable the McAfee on access scan ... also you may be right because the PC slows down during start as the McAfee loads ...

Well whats you verdict ...

shaunak

Reaction score
Its probably McAfee's live agent which is causing the problem, you might need to get another AV software. Idd suggest Avast or NOD32, they are quite light.

Ps: You might like to da a virus scan in Safe mode to be sure your system is not infected.