trying to understand how ftp or file manager works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquila

Reaction score
1. when i update a file i seem to have to delete the old one before i can drag and drop the new one in ftp

2. also in ftp i seem to have all my files in public and then mirrord in www as well . which one do i actually delete to update a file

3. so i tried going to file manager to see if things are easier but whatever changes i make is not reflected on my site except index.html. when i update index it always changes immediately but when i do other files it doesn't show up. is there a time delay and is there a link where i can go to read how to actually do what and when as i find a lot of things quite complicated here cos i'm very green when it comes to this sort of thing. thank you very much for your help.

username gg2327
myminiaturepainting.com

Slothie

Reaction score
1. What FTP client are you using
2. Either one, they are symbolically linked (you delete one, the other gets deleted).
3. There shouldn't be a time delay, you should trying clearing out your browser cache.

jsobeck

Reaction score
I've experienced glitches in Dreamweaver, try using a normal FTP client (such as CoreFTP) and see if that works. You should be putting all files in the public_html folder.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
public_html and www folders are mirrors of each other. If it was windows www would be a shortcut to public_html

If it's taking time for you to see an update it's because your browser has a version cached, so instead of showing you the change it's showing you the cached version. Try hitting CTRL+F5 or SHIFT+F5 depending on your browser to do a 'hard' refresh when you want to see changes right away.

aquila

Reaction score
ah i understand now. thanks corey. and thank you so much for providing this free service for us. i've never had a free service with such good support!
x10hosting is the best!!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem, please re-open if you need further assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.