Ubuntu?

mcklovin

Reaction score
Is anyone using Ubuntu Linux, is it easy to install, maintain? Can you install photoshop and dreamweaver on it? And is it worth it to make the switch from windows to linux? Any advice Appreciated. I hope this is in the right section.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, if you want to get your hands dirty with some initial work to get things the way you like, Ubuntu is a good OS to start off with. As for Photoshop, unless Adobe has a Linux version on it, you'll either have to use GIMP which is exactly like Photoshop or use some Windows APIs to run Photoshop. If you have a high speed internet connection and a CD burner, I suggest downloading the ISO and running it as a live CD to try it out first.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved to Computers & Technology.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Seriously, I think Ubuntu is easier than Windows to administer. Mind you, I find Windows a nightmare, and Ubuntu also quite terrible. But, for someone new to linux, it's probably fairly easy.

For your other question: no, you cannot install Photoshop or Dreamweaver. Windows software can't run on other OSes (unless they are designed to emulate Windows, like ReactOS). However, you do have options. You could install Windows in a virtual machine, and install all of your Windows software on that. Alternatively, you could use WINE to try to run your Windows software.

dgr-c

Reaction score
I installed SUSe 9.x a while back, moved to Ubuntu when Novell cut the fugly deal with the devil and haven't looked back. I keep a Wndoze machine around for TurboTax and fire it up every March to do taxes.

The GIMP is a fine replacement for PhotoShop, there are a ton of Linux open/free HTML editors as good as Dreamweaver -- take a look at NVU just for one.

The only thing I miss is Flash but since I don't do Flash as part of my personals stuff, it's no big loss.

Go Ubuntu, you won't look back.

deadimp

Reaction score
The installation process for Ubuntu is pretty simply. Get yourself a CD, either by burning yourself an ISO downloaded from the main site, or ordering one online.
Reboot your computer with the CD in the drive, it should boot off of the CD, and it'll give some options on how to boot. and by default it'll go into the LiveCD. Once the LiveCD is loaded, you're now running Ubuntu on your computer without changing anything on your harddrive.
To install, you simply go to 'Install' on the desktop, and the process from there is extremely straightforward.
Well, if you want to get your hands dirty with some initial work to get things the way you like,
You don't really have to get down-'n-dirty at all, unless you're doing some core optimization. If you're using the GNOME window manager (the default flavor of Ubuntu), configuring the basics should be easy.

Maintenance, on the other hand, is up to the user.
If you don't organize your files, try messing with the base directory structure, install ungodly amounts of applications and never clean up afterwards, then yes, maintenance will be a hassle.
However, if you keep to installing applications via the package mananger and don't try making any changes to your root system (unless you know exactly what you're doing), it should be extremely easy.

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
The only thing I miss is Flash but since I don't do Flash as part of my personals stuff, it's no big loss.
So this doesn't cause confusion, I will clarify. The Flash player works, but dgr-c is referring to Adobe's Flash authoring programs that let you create Flash content.

soporteweb

Reaction score
its better u can emulate windows program on linux using wine (program to emulate windows program on linux)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
WINE itself is a nice program. It's been able to run loads of Windows games with very little difference, and it's being improved all the time, so go for it. WINE may have some weak points, but if you find one, look around for a fix or ask for a new feature.

mcklovin

Reaction score
I installed Ubuntu, had some trouble with my wireless card, but Ubuntu has great forums I asked for some help and got an answer within hours. I love it.

tomjkear

Reaction score
Ubuntu is an awesome OS. At the moment I am forced to use Windows because of the course I am doing at university. Some of our work is hard enough as it is, without having to worry about whether I can get things to work in Linux.

As soon as I am done with this course I will be switching over to a permanent dual boot installation.

bookworm99

Reaction score
Ubuntu = great, but you shouldn't make the jump to Linux unless you're really ready. Dreamweaver/Photoshop do not run *natively* on Linux (and there are many programs out there that are free and about as good) - but you can run them, assuming you use WINE or some sort of Windows virtual machine, which is quite hard to setup but might be worth it.

It's a tough choice, but I'd say that unless you really NEED Linux for something or you're really sick of Windows and willing to take the risks, you shouldn't switch unless you're prepared.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Ubuntu = great, but you shouldn't make the jump to Linux unless you're really ready. Dreamweaver/Photoshop do not run *natively* on Linux (and there are many programs out there that are free and about as good) - but you can run them, assuming you use WINE or some sort of Windows virtual machine, which is quite hard to setup but might be worth it.

Those aren't that hard to set up. To install WINE on Ubuntu is as simple as typing apt-get install wine (or something very similar).

Setting up a virtual machine is also easy. Just use apt-get to install virtualbox, vmware, qemu, or some other emulator (those are the most popular free ones I believe). Then, follow the prompts to set up a machine, and then install Windows.

CoolFinalFan

Reaction score
I did the dual-boot install & I'm amazed at how user friendly Ubuntu is!
great forums if you have a question! And there's also the program > Crossover, in which you can install actual Windows programs!
More to come on my learning experience with Ubuntu....

PS: I'll keep XP just in case(LOL)

tomjkear

Reaction score
I have used Ubuntu countless times in the past with no problems.
8.10 will not install on my current setup, no idea why :dunno:

terrysolid

Reaction score
As previous posters have all stated Ubuntu is a fine distro that is easy to maintain. The loopmounted install through Wubi is by far the easiest method of installation, and has no noticeable speed decrease.

Ubuntu is self updating, allows the installation of new programs with ease, is faster and more stable than windows, and has an alternative available for almost all windows apps. The only drawback is if you are a gamer you will have to have a dual boot install to play your games (cry)

Regarding Photoshop and Dreamweaver, WINE will not run the latest CS3 versions. I believe that Photoshop CS2 will run with some persuasion, although I never got to that point. As for Dreamweaver, MX 2004 is the last version that will work under WINE.

The advantage of Wubi is that you have an instantaneous dual boot configuration without having to repartition your disk or modify the boot loader. If you don't like Ubuntu, simply go to add remove programs and delete it, it's that simple.