Ughhh HELP ME

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
So, I have the flu. The doctor gave me prescription cough medicine, TOTALLY not working. I'm taking like four ibuprofens at a time for my fever and headache, TOTALLY not working.

I wake up every night at 3:30AM coughing my guts out and it feels like billions of knifes in my stomach (4am now). I just want to sleep. I don't care about anything elseeeeeee.

What can I dooooooooooooooooooooooo1?

fractalfeline

Reaction score
Tamiflu? Maybe try one of those night-time formulated antihistamines? Lay off the ibuprofens, switch to tylenol?

Another idea: Read this. Guaranteed to put you to sleep. Or whack your brain. Perhaps both.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Gahhhh. This sucks so much. I can't remember any time in my life when I felt worse. I really feel like I might die.
They're not giving it out unless it's classified as an emergency case, or they're afraid it will escalate to emergency.... At least that's what they're doing here.

tregtar

Reaction score
any of the over the counter multi cold with antihistimines (that'll help you sleep) should do the trick. Think Benadryl.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
So, I have the flu. The doctor gave me prescription cough medicine, TOTALLY not working. I'm taking like four ibuprofens at a time for my fever and headache, TOTALLY not working.

I wake up every night at 3:30AM coughing my guts out and it feels like billions of knifes in my stomach (4am now). I just want to sleep. I don't care about anything elseeeeeee.

What can I dooooooooooooooooooooooo1?

Eat some garlic.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I had come down with the flu last week, and man was I coughing and not feeling the greatest. I had gotten the chills, was coughing quite a bit as well as wanting to do anything/felt weak. For the most part, taking no medications I recovered within 2 days. What really signified something was up was when I started coughing up this yellow-ish stuff. I find that whenever I'm ill (which is rare), if at all possible try to cough that stuff up as you'll feel loads better.

But don't overdose on medicine as well, that can cause more problems than it'll help with.

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm pretty much better now. Still coughing a little but I'll get over that by tomorrow probably.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I'm pretty much better now. Still coughing a little but I'll get over that by tomorrow probably.

Glad to hear that. The Flu can be nasty, mainly the coughing part which really weakens you no matter what you do. With me, I was coughing enough to the point where when eating, I could couch every other chew I did. I'd have to take a break from eating, couch really hard, and then eat for another 10 minutes. It was nasty, but on the last night of my illness, I drunk two bottles of Green Tea and played a few hours of video games, then I slept for 9 hours. Let me just mention how great I felt when I woke up the next morning to a sunrise as the illness was gone.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not meaning to bring up an old thread, but I'm still coughing! Has anyone else experienced the prolonged coughing after "getting better?"

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Not meaning to bring up an old thread, but I'm still coughing! Has anyone else experienced the prolonged coughing after "getting better?"

Yep. I had that after I was feeling better. Cough up whatever you can (yes, I know it's disgusting) and you'll be better within 2-3 days.