undefine index?????

zyreena

Reaction score
PHP:
if($_GET['view'] == 'login' or !isset($_GET['view']))

wat wil i do so dat this condition will work. it gives me an error: undefined index: view

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
You need to actually reverse your statement. When PHP encounters what you have programmed now and $_GET['view'] is not set, it gives you the error.

Code:
if(!isset($_GET['view']) || $_GET['view'] == 'login')

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
When you do something like if (condition 1 or condition 2 or condition 3...) the conditions are evaluated in order from left to right. So, if there's an error in condition 1, it will never reach condition 2 or 3. Since $_GET['view'] is not set, your condition 1 has an error - you are trying to operate on something that doesn't exist.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
When you do something like if (condition 1 or condition 2 or condition 3...) the conditions are evaluated in order from left to right. So, if there's an error in condition 1, it will never reach condition 2 or 3. Since $_GET['view'] is not set, your condition 1 has an error - you are trying to operate on something that doesn't exist.
good catch garrett. The other thing to note with that chance zyreena is that in php there is no "or" you need to use the command "||" ;)

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
good catch garrett. The other thing to note with that chance zyreena is that in php there is no "or" you need to use the command "||" ;)

I actually think they added "and" and "or" in one of the recent PHP versions, but I could be wrong. I prefer the symbol syntax because I've used a lot of other C type languages and I'm stuck in my ways :p
Edit:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.operators.logical.php

I would still stick to the || operator because "or" operates differently.

Last edited:

zyreena

Reaction score
hmmm. but i've read you can use 'or' and 'and' in the latest version. tnx guys for mor info

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Feel free to use 'and' and 'or' forms when necessary if you understand operator precedence and can add explicit parentheses to:
Code:
$foo='a' or false ? 'b' : 'c' and 'd';
$bar='a' || false ? 'b' : 'c' && 'd';
so the parenthesized versions are parsed equivalently.

In general, you'll use '&&' and '||' much more than 'and' and 'or'. If you don't understand precedence, you should study it before going much further.