unwanted scrollbar

garikr

Reaction score
I have a 4 part background layout set to fill the whole screen. In both Firefox and Chrome the body stretches(at least I think it's the body) vertically for about 4px resulting in a scrollbar. Removing the bottom pieces solves the problem, moving their bottom edges 4px also gets rid of the scrollbar, but creates a line across the bottom. I think I've zeroed out all the margins/paddings and removed all the borders. What's going on?? Please take a look at http://iggi.exofire.net Any suggestions are appreciated.

garikr

Reaction score
I've figured it out, kinda.... putting img{margin-bottom:-4px} gets rid of the overflow, I just hope it does not mess up anything else, I've change it, if you want to look at the old one it's http://iggi.exofire.net/port/ind.html now. It's time to boot into windows and check it in IE. Why do I get a feeling that it won't work...

Last edited:

spadija

Reaction score
Maybe my screen just isn't tall enough, but on all my browsers, there's a scroll bar. I think you'd be better off doing all the background images in CSS using "background-image: url('path/to/image.png')". You can do the mouseover effect without JavaScript too.

Try adding this to your CSS and removing (or commenting out) the image tags and mouseover script.
Code:
/* CSS to place background images inside the four divs */
#bgLogo {
  background: transparent url("garikrg.png") no-repeat top left;
}

#bgRight {
  background: transparent url("shadowup.png") no-repeat top left;
}

/* This will handle the mouseover effect */
#bgRight:hover {
  background-image: url("shadowdn.png");
}

#bgLogoBottom {
  background: transparent url("logoBottom.png") repeat-y top left;
}

#bgBottomRight {
  background: transparent url("bottomRight.png") repeat-y top left;
}

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
At the time of this writing I cannot get either one of the websites you referenced to fully load.
Despite that, I think I have a pretty good idea as to what your concern is and would like to just give you quick thought.
I have been building my own websites for about 20 years and if there is any way to make a website look exactly the way I want it to on all browsers and all computers, I am unaware it. Maybe somebody else knows the answer.
People have different browsers and have those browsers configured differently. People have different computers, different monitors, different video cards. What looks really good on my browser, monitor and screen resolution may look like cr*p on your computer.
Just a thought.