Upgrading my computer

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Last edited:

wongers

Reaction score
obviously assuming that you've gone through the channels of ensuring that your motherboard and power supply can handle such an upgrade then i think your on to a winner with this card :)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
ATi cards are great cards. That particular one you have there I know will run anything you throw at it maxed out. Crysis, of course will need a tone down unless you get a high end HD 5 series card. I use nVidia cards here, and if you're looking for a nice bang for the buck card, the 9800GT and the 4 year old 8800GT still max out games. I'd say stick with that Radeon card, and make sure you get a reliable PSU from companies like Antec as well. Don't want to be stuck with a poor PSU that crashes the card due to undervolt or jitter.

archcode

Reaction score
Ok if your going to spend the money on the 4890 you should think about the ati 5750 or the ati 5770 because they come with DDR5 not DDR3 and you get Directx 11 for just a few bucks more. you'll get better performance and your games will look better. The ati 5770 is $199.9 from best buy or $189 for the XFX version from newegg. I only recommend that you get XFX because they come with a double lifetime warranty.

wongers

Reaction score
could not agree more, plus ive seen a lot of deals on the XFX coming with the new AVP game ;-)

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Since my PSU is clearly under powered, i got 250 W, I will be first getting a new 700W PSU. However, I heard that there is a lot of bad business going on on the PSU market. Do you have any brands or models I can trust? Also, my friend said that I should better wait for summer to buy my new GPU, since prices should get lower, will they significantly?

archcode

Reaction score
Since my PSU is clearly under powered, i got 250 W, I will be first getting a new 700W PSU. However, I heard that there is a lot of bad business going on on the PSU market. Do you have any brands or models I can trust? Also, my friend said that I should better wait for summer to buy my new GPU, since prices should get lower, will they significantly?

If you need a new power supply go with corsair they make great products that you can rely on. Also don't short change yourself with that 4890 as I said earlier for 189$ on new egg get the 5770 (get the open looking one as it stays cooler then the closed one) and your computer will be great

right now my specs are amd phenom II x4 925 8 gigs ddr3 ram 1 tb hard drive ati 5770 and i can play crysis with x4 AA, and everything else maxed out, and i get 30-35 frames with Fraps running which cuts performance by about 10-15 frames. I couldn't be happier with my 5770.

EDIT: Also just go with the 650w power supply, It is what i have in my system and i can run 2 5770s perfectly with it, Its just a nice way to save some money and NOT short hand your computer.

Last edited: