Upload pictures via web?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rory42

Reaction score
Hi - Is it allowed to have an upload script which will allow users to upload a picture via the web? I have been reading the forums which state this is forbidden - however i cannot find any reference to this in the terms of service??

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
From the TOS that's not allowed:

Personal accounts are to be used by the primary owner only. Personal account holders are not permitted to resell, store or give away web-hosting services of their website to other parties. Web hosting services are defined as allowing a separate, third party to host content on the owner's web site. Exceptions to this include ad banners, classified ads, and personal ads. x10Hosting reserves the right to refuse service and/or access to its servers to anyone. Each individual is allowed ONE account only. x10Hosting does not allow any of the following content to be stored on its servers.
* File Storage: Accounts are not to be used for file storage, your account will be permenantly suspended if found to be breaking this rule. Downloads are only allowed on your x10Hosting account if they have to do directly with your website. e.g. you developed custom software and are selling it or giving it away. Accounts may not be used for mirrors, game file hosting, or any other type of file hosting not specified here.
Those are the reasons that your upload script would break TOS. It's also clear on what you are allowed to do with images:

* Personal Image\Video Galleries: Personal galleries are limited to 1GB of disk space for images and videos.

Last edited:

rory42

Reaction score
So I want to allow my users to upload 2 pics of their flat which they want to rent out to my users (doctors in the UK).

As this comes under "classified ads" - this should be allowed - right? I read that some users have their accounts summarily closed with no abilty to reopen when an automated script finds any script containing the word upload...?

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, it appears that it does so. But the situation you described is still hosting third party content. There are a lot of free picture hosting services online that will allow for embedding those pics to where ever they are advertising their flat for rent.

rory42

Reaction score
agreed - so my choices are:
1. get users to upload their pictures elsewhere and use a link (a bit unprofessional)
2. not upload pictures
3. go elsewhere.

any other options? - such as allowing uploads in line with the terms and conditions???

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
The TOS is clear about forbidding hosting third party content that I've already pointed out to you, meaning third party image hosting and any other third party files. It's up to you on what to do with this information. If you go ahead and host third party content in this manner, then you risk a permanent suspension of your hosting account.

Status
Not open for further replies.