Uploading mySQL databases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fguy64

Reaction score
Is it possible to create and populate mySQL databases on your computer, then upload them to x10?

Does mySQL on x10 allow me as a user to place databases somewhere under my home directory structure and then maybe specify the location in my connect or select statements?

My initial investigations suggest this is not possible.

gomarc

Reaction score
Yes you can.

Use cPanel > phpMyAdmin, select a database and on go to the Export tab.

Make sure you check the "Save as file" option to download to your computer.

To upload a database, you can use the "Import" tab.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Does mySQL on x10 allow me as a user to place databases somewhere under my home directory structure and then maybe specify the location in my connect or select statements?
While MySQL stores some table contents, definitions and indices on disk (temporary and memory table contents and indices are stored in RAM), this is an implementation detail and isn't reflected in public interfaces. For DB clients, the DB namespace is completely separate from the filesystem namespace.

fguy64

Reaction score
While MySQL stores some table contents, definitions and indices on disk (temporary and memory table contents and indices are stored in RAM), this is an implementation detail and isn't reflected in public interfaces. For DB clients, the DB namespace is completely separate from the filesystem namespace.

Which means I have no choice in where my database files physically reside?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Not in this application, no you cannot change physical database location.

If you need physical files you have control of, you can use php and XML. It's not nearly as fast or space efficient as SQL, so if you can make fit your application within the bounds of the restrictions from MySQL, it would be better, but it is viable.

fguy64

Reaction score
Not in this application, no you cannot change physical database location.

If you need physical files you have control of, you can use php and XML. It's not nearly as fast or space efficient as SQL, so if you can make fit your application within the bounds of the restrictions from MySQL, it would be better, but it is viable.

Not an issue, it just sounds like I won't be able to upload database files using my favorite ftp client. Not a showstopper at all.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
If you export the database and import it you can. The exported file is not the same as the storage file. It is a list of instructions on how to re-create the storage file.

Status
Not open for further replies.