USB Devices Help

jmaverick

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Figured I'd post this and see if any of you gurus can help me wrap my head around a problem I'm having.

My USB Drives (Front and back) are not recognizing my digital camera or my ipod. They do however recognize any flash drive.

I have done the basics, tried reinstalling usb drivers, uninstalling the usb, searched help forums, etc.

It isn't a compatibility problem because Win7 site says the camera is fine.

I am running windows 7 64 bit.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Danielx386

Reaction score
Have you tried connectiong the Ipod and canera to a different computer, also with the Ipod, itune needs to be installed as well

Daniel

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Could there be a connection problem between the USB hubs and the motherboard?

steronius

Reaction score
small chance it's just not 64 bit compatible.

But either way, it's most likely a software issue, drivers or other -- Go into the devices manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks when the devices are plugged in. (Not sure how in Win7, but in XP, it's right click my-computer> manage> device-manager [or control-panel> Administrative-Tools> device-manager])

krofunk

Reaction score
for windows 7 (assuming you use the default view) you can get to device manager by right clicking "computer", then clicking properties. Then simply click device manager on the side bar to the left of the main window.

jmaverick

Reaction score
The exclamation marks are there beside the device name. Updating Device driver does nothing, it says "Current drive is up to date."

Like I said earlier I have tried uninstalling all usb devices which didn't help either.

gflash76

Reaction score
For the digital camera, check with the manufacturer's website and see if they have any updated drivers for 64-bit Win 7. The majority of them may still be developing the necessary drivers for your particular camera.

krofunk

Reaction score
what error is given when you click a device with an exclamation mark? eg "error code 43" or it will give you an excuse like "the device failed to start."

kestrel1

Reaction score
This will be down to the drivers. Go to manufacturers website & get the latest driver if they are available for Windows 7.
Does the camera even get recognised as a mass storage device? I suspect not. Same with the ipod. whether Apple will even bother to update drivers for older ipods is anyone's guess.

jmaverick

Reaction score
The error code I get is: Code 18, reinstall device driver.

Which I have tried doing.

I have also notices I get a "This device can perform faster" notification. So obviously it thinks my ports are not USB 2.0

I cannot find a Nikon DSLR Driver anywhere. I have tried their software programs to no avail.

play3rx

Reaction score
The error code I get is: Code 18, reinstall device driver.

Which I have tried doing.

I have also notices I get a "This device can perform faster" notification. So obviously it thinks my ports are not USB 2.0

I cannot find a Nikon DSLR Driver anywhere. I have tried their software programs to no avail.

The whole usb 2.0 dosen't really matter usb 2.0 is backwards compatable with all versions of usb.

hiqves

Reaction score
For an example to connect Nokia Mobile to computer with windows 7 through
USB is needed to install Nokia PC Suite that contains drivers. To connect,
for example printer Epson FX-800 also have to indtall drivers for this device.

krofunk

Reaction score
if windows is reporting that you are plugging a device into a usb 1.0/1.1 port when you know that it is in fact usb 2.0 you may want to check your motherboard/chipset drivers. These should be available from your computers/motherboards manufacturer.

I also have a nikon dslr d40..assuming it works in the same way as mine you will not require any drivers as it just registers as a removable disk drive.

Last edited:

jmaverick

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help. I booted into Safemode and managed to get everything to work. It seemed to reinstall everything properly and still works in normal mode.

I appreciate the quick responses.

Cheers