Usb help

espfutbol98

Reaction score
I have a Mobile Slip CD-RW/DVD-RW external USB drive that works well on other computers but not on mine. When I plug it in it either keeps popping up saying this device and perform faster and then it keeps making the mount/dismount sound. I have stopped the pop-ups but it keeps getting dismounted ever few seconds. I check the drivers and it says they're the newest and I keep trying to write ISO with ISO Image Burner but I always get a different hardware error. Any suggestions?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Where exactly are you plugging this drive into? I've found that some of the USB ports on monitors and keyboards tend to run on USB 1.1 mode. If it's happening on both the rear and front jacks however, mention that too.

krofunk

Reaction score
some drives require more than one usb power supply, even though (I'd say around 80% of the time) it will work with just one. my external hard drive is the example I am using, however as you are talking about a dvd burner it may be different.

link<- this is an example of my drive. There is a valid explanation for this, and that is that most hard drives have 2 power supplies (12v and 5v) however the maximum output of the average usb port is 5v. using 2 usb ports fixes this problem so many manufacturers will supply external drives with more than one port.

espfutbol98

Reaction score
My drive does have 2 usb cables and when I plug them in, it works fine until I put a disk in it. Then it will keep mounting and dismounting repeatedly.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a power issue then. Is the computer complaining about you exceeding the maximum power of the ports, or when you check the status of the USB Hubs in the Device Manager, does it show the power as basically being used up? It might be possible on the other PCs you were trying, you were hooking them up to different USB hubs.

espfutbol98

Reaction score
How the plugs on the drive are setup i think is one cable which is power and data, and one that branches off that which is just power. When I tried it on all the other computers, I just used the power/data. I also tried the cable on different ports on my computer with the same result. On the device manager, it shows up and goes away before I can even look at the properties, and there are no notices about power issues.

krofunk

Reaction score
Well its definitely odd..I will give that ;) may sound strange but have you tried plugging one usb (data and power) into the laptop and the other (just power) into another computer that you know it works on? If that works then It may just be that the laptop isn't putting out enough power.

espfutbol98

Reaction score
It looks like you're right krofunk. At least I know why it doesn't work on this computer now; power issues.

krofunk

Reaction score
as much as I havent solved the problem I am glad I could be of help :)