USB powered HUB

rolandr

Reaction score
File this under "duh-uh" ....

my laptop only has one USB port. So I've been using an adapter for multi-USB port hub (passive) for wireless mouse, fan, external hard drive fan and 10-key punch. Anyway, sometimes I would loose the wireless mouse, there was twice where I transfer some files to the external drive only to loose these files because the external hard drive disconnect.

So I got a powered USB port hub. I don't have that problem anymore.

Carry on.

wongers

Reaction score
im not quite sure i understand the nature of this thread?

rolandr

Reaction score
Purpose of this thread is if you have one USB port (older laptops) yet you have many outboard, peripherals using USB ports then get a powered USB hub.

I say file this under Duh-Uh because some members will roll their eyes like nothing new or because they have a zillion USB ports on their laptop or desktop.

Yet some members will wonder why they are having issues with their multi USB passive port. Then I recommend getting a powered one. That's all.

I'm sorry if I offended any members giving them useless information. I suppose I could delete this thread.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Nah, it's quite valid -- I'm sure there are people who come here that do not know the difference between a powered and unpowered USB hub

wongers

Reaction score
you certainly didnt offend me, i found it to be a rather amusing story, i just wasnt sure what to do with all this information lol

rolandr

Reaction score
you certainly didnt offend me, i found it to be a rather amusing story, i just wasnt sure what to do with all this information lol
Lol, maybe I was your "typical technical support" person, giving more information than needed, Lol

By the way, to those with one USB port I highly recommend a powered USB port hub if you are using an external hard drive. You will have a faster file transfer file to your external hard drive.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol, maybe I was your "typical technical support" person, giving more information than needed, Lol

By the way, to those with one USB port I highly recommend a powered USB port hub if you are using an external hard drive. You will have a faster file transfer file to your external hard drive.

These days I suggest sticking hard disks on an eSATA, USB 3.0 or a Thunderbolt hub, or perhaps FireWire 800. Lots of USB 2.0 disks are bottlenecked by the speed of the bus, and further limited by hubs with other devices communicating on them.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys.