Use of frames allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordenÎcon

Reaction score
In order to display the corporate banner in the way specified by the rules (being visible with no scrolling etc. on every page) I made use of frames.

On every page the corporate advert is immediatly visible at the bottom of the page and will remain visible regardless of how the user scrolls.

Here is an example:
frames.jpg

Is this an acceptable method?

Thanks.

amr1991

Reaction score
WOW! Good idea! I never thought of that, if we can use this then i will too! Can you please send me the code? I know how to use inline frames but not framesets. :biggrin:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, doesn't matter how you display them as long as they're on every page.

-Corey

LordenÎcon

Reaction score
Thanks for replying Corey.

amr1991 said:
WOW! Good idea! I never thought of that, if we can use this then i will too! Can you please send me the code? I know how to use inline frames but not framesets. :biggrin:

Sure for the way I do it im simply using two horizontal frames.

First make a new page and put it this code replacing the page names with your own. The percentage shows how much of the page that frame will occupy. Fairly straightforward:

Code:
<HTML>
<FRAMESET ROWS="87%,*">
   <FRAMESET COLS="*">
   <FRAME SRC="home.htm">
   </FRAMESET>

<FRAMESET COLS="13%">
   <FRAME SRC="ad.htm">

</FRAMESET>
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
LordenÎcon said:
In order to display the corporate banner in the way specified by the rules (being visible with no scrolling etc. on every page) I made use of frames.

On every page the corporate advert is immediatly visible at the bottom of the page and will remain visible regardless of how the user scrolls.

Here is an example:
frames.jpg

Is this an acceptable method?

Thanks.

Remove the border from that frame (border="0" i think, or frameborder="0"), and it will look good :)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
And here I now feel like a dolt. I can't believe I forgot about frames >_<

Nice one, and it fits the TOS perfectly :)

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't like websites with frames at all, I prefer having the banner at the top, but not in a frame...
They really bother me... :(

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll give you the hate frames thing, but for the sake of making sure the ad's on every single page, I can live with it. XD

DecemberGuild

Reaction score
Re: Use of frames allowed? (BETTER METHOD!)

What about frame-incapable browsers? Frames are annoying, face it. Here's a better way to get the same effect (which allows for much more flexibility).
Using HTML and CSS, you can get a frame effect that will work in all browsers with CSS on (and you can embed a Javascript to use frames for the CSS-incapable browsers). This allows for much more flexibility, and you can even get the frame to fade into the page if you get creative enough.

If you'll afford me a few minutes, I'll write up a tutorial for you...

Edit: With the use of PHP, you can include the frame automatically on every page. I'll write this up too..

Last edited:

DecemberGuild

Reaction score
Tutorial:
You need frames with CSS? Well, here.
I made this a few minutes ago with the help of a tutorial I found elsewhere.

In your style tag you want this:
* HTML BODY
{
padding:0px 0px 75px 0px;
}
* HTML #body
{
height:100%;
width:100%;
}
BODY
{
margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;
border:0px;
padding:0px;
height:100%;
max-height:100%;
overflow:hidden;
}
#body
{
position:fixed;
top:0px;
left:0px;
bottom:75px;
right:0px;
overflow:auto;
}
#footer
{
Position:absolute;
left:0px;
right:0px;
bottom:0px;
width:100%;
height:75px;
overflow:auto;
background-color:#333333;
color:#DA70D6;
}

And your body should look like this:
<div id="body">
THIS IS THE BODY!
</div>
<div id="footer">
THIS IS THE FOOTER!
</div>
Make sure you wrap your page in an HTML tag, and it should work beautifully. The lines in red indicate the size of the bottom frame. The lines in blue indicate colors that can be safely changed.

I should note that wrapping a page in a DIV element shouldn't interrupt the way it's displayed, so this method should be painless to install.

I almost forgot. Give me a minute and I'll explain how to make the frame fade into the body (it should work.)
Edit: I can't seem to get it. Maybe I'll figure it out later, but I can't right now.

Last edited:

mattyranks

Reaction score
yeah that is a great way of doing is.

css is very effective and you can effectively make the page look like one which is very smooth.

unfortunately i don't know the code but i', sure a google search will find it

DecemberGuild

Reaction score
mattyranks said:
yeah that is a great way of doing is.

css is very effective and you can effectively make the page look like one which is very smooth.

unfortunately i don't know the code but i', sure a google search will find it
CSS is easy to learn. With it, you can do a lot. If you know CSS, it should be easy to edit the frame I made above, and make it look how you want.

Example: http://www.december.x10hosting.com/php-test/frames.htm

Last edited:

DecemberGuild

Reaction score
To get the transparency working, I'd have to rewrite the code, but I know it's possible. Rewriting it would allow for nice effects, too. I've seen pages with elements overlapping one frame onto other frame, and a nice fade at the frame border

DecemberGuild

Reaction score
Maybe I'll have some time tonight. If I get it worked out, I'll let you know.
I've also got some other neat ideas for the ads, but I have to ask if they're allowed first.

Status
Not open for further replies.