User Bars

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Cynical said:
Wow.. I never even knew about that site. If anyone is looking to create their own userbars this software here is pretty good: http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showtopic=191017. I didn't write this software.
Although it's easier and faster to make them in Photoshop or GIMP and when you do they look much better. Plus that program closes right after it puts itself into my taskbar.

Game Maker sucks... I still have my reg keys. Mark Overmars is lazy and won't make a linux version so you'd have to use Windows. Someone asked him why Game Maker doesn't actually compile the games when they're made into an EXE and he said it would require too much coding and was "not worth it." It's plenty worth it. The games would be much faster and be much smaller files. Many of the people at the GMC have dial-up connections for some reason and I'm sure they'd appreciate it. Making anything with GM is a waste of time because too many people won't be able to play your game due to GM's restrictions. Either their graphics card is unsupported by GM 6 like mine so they can't make/play games, or they can't because the're running a DECENT operating system such as linux. If you want to make a game, go with C++ because you'll never make a successful GM game. You're too limited by the program itself. GM's 3d is extremely limited too so don't think about making a good 3d game. Even with DLLs to a C++ game engine like Irrlicht, GM still sucks because it's extremely slow, inefficient, and buggy (like Windows). GM games can't be converted to work on any console either. Good luck getting that major company to distribute your game.

There's also that extra annoyance of the people at the GMC. When will they stop asking if their GM EXEs can be converted to flash? If they want a flash game they need to use Macromedia products. And people still post newbie InvisionFree forums in the website announcement section, even though it's against the rules and their forum's never going to be popular anyway.

Last edited:

Cynical

Reaction score
If you want to make a game, go with C++ because you'll never make a successful GM game.
I don't want to start a debate here but that statement cannot be backed up at all. I as well as several other GM users have made solds hundreds of copies of games.

Anyways, you're right, it is easier to make userbars yourself IF you have the experience to do so. This also gives you more freedoms than using a program or using a pre-made userbar.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Cynical said:
I as well as several other GM users have made solds hundreds of copies of games.
Do you have any evidence to back that up? If you do, good. I want to see it.
Battlefield 2 Breaks 1 Million Copies Sold Mark
2005-08-10 | posted by Chairman Steve | print

Critically Acclaimed PC Action Game Takes the World by Storm

Electronic Arts today announced that, based on internal sell-in data, the award-winning game Battlefield 2 has sold more than 1.2M copies worldwide. The critically acclaimed title boasts an average review score of 91 at Metacritic.com, placing it alongside the best-rated games of all time. Developed by Digital Illusions, the Battlefield franchise has now sold over 7.2M copies worldwide.
So compared to this ONE game, how did you guys do?

Kay

Reaction score
All he was doing was saying that he didn't know that the site existed and also saying that if anyone want so make their own a software he knows is that - why are you starting an argument Koshimi over nothing.

Cynical

Reaction score
Koshimi said:
Cynical said:
I as well as several other GM users have made solds hundreds of copies of games.
Do you have any evidence to back that up? If you do, good. I want to see it.
Battlefield 2 Breaks 1 Million Copies Sold Mark
2005-08-10 | posted by Chairman Steve | print

Critically Acclaimed PC Action Game Takes the World by Storm

Electronic Arts today announced that, based on internal sell-in data, the award-winning game Battlefield 2 has sold more than 1.2M copies worldwide. The critically acclaimed title boasts an average review score of 91 at Metacritic.com, placing it alongside the best-rated games of all time. Developed by Digital Illusions, the Battlefield franchise has now sold over 7.2M copies worldwide.
So compared to this ONE game, how did you guys do?
That is a game development company. I am a hobbyist game developer. What do you want for proof? I sell CDs with my games on them in Welfleet MA each year (except last, but the year before that and the one before that and this coming summer)... several others do the similar and some sell them online.

N2PGames

Reaction score
I've Mad 3 games with game maker and its the best Free tool i've ever used and it so good i even paied to buy the full thing and i've donated $5 xtra for teh persons great work!!! so unless you're not that good at Gm u would say its bad

Cynical

Reaction score
N2PGames said:
I've Mad 3 games with game maker and its the best Free tool i've ever used and it so good i even paied to buy the full thing and i've donated $5 xtra for teh persons great work!!! so unless you're not that good at Gm u would say its bad
It doesn't mean they weren't good at it, they just didn't see everything it's capable of, as it takes months to learn every nook and cranny of GM.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Kay said:
All he was doing was saying that he didn't know that the site existed and also saying that if anyone want so make their own a software he knows is that - why are you starting an argument Koshimi over nothing.
And I wasn't talking to him either. I know GM is really restricted from experience so there's no use in him even trying to make me think differently. If you can't figure out a real programming language use GM. That's what it's for. Other people realize its limitations. I was just expressing my opinion and he started saying people have made successful GM games when they haven't, trying to start an argument. Some day he'll realize the limitations of this tool. It was obvious for me months after I registered.