user ftp access

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Ok I have been through the tutorials and could not find anything about this. (this is allowed right .... I think) Is there a way to give my users ftp access so they can download files from my site (SAFELY so no one can do damage to the other files there.) It`s just a question I was thinkin about so I thought I would ask :happy:

Chris

Reaction score
Just use the anonymous "account". Use the normal FTP details to connect to your server, but use the anonymous account.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
and if I do this ppl will only be able to see what in the anonymous account.....? Sorry man this might be a dumb question but I`m just learning some things

Chris

Reaction score
Yeah, only the files in the anonymous account.

Hmm... I'm not sure where the anonymous files are going. If you try for yourself, if you login anonymously, you'll only get 2 folders, which are by default empty. I was trying to find out where these files go in the actual directory, like if you had logged in as admin.

I'll get back to you when I find out.

Chris

Reaction score
Hmm strange. I can't get it to work, haha.

Well, if you go to cPanel and click "FTP Manager", you'll see some more options. If you go "Setup Anonymous FTP Access", you'll be able to setup if they can upload, etc. You can also set the message by going to "Anonymous FTP Message".

I have figured out that it goes to /public_ftp/. I just get a "critical error" while trying to upload a file as anonymous, when I have the settings correctly configured. I'll keep trying at it.

Chris

Reaction score
Hmm... I don't like, haha.

You have to use anonymous@{your address} in order to use it properly.

This doesn't make any sense, because what if people want to use it anonymously to download, and not upload? Well, if you use a browser to go to your FTP site, you get two strange directories, "mail" and "pub". None of these I have found anywhere, and obviously do not go to "/public_ftp/incoming/", of which logging in as anonymous@{your address} does.

Annoying, lol.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I tried to access it anonymously and couldn`t using any combination of anonymous user names and stuff ...but I can connect when I use my user name and password. All my settings are correct as far as I know in the cpanel. But the anonymous still wont work

Richard

Reaction score
The user name (anonymous@{your address}) is created by cpanel. Its designed to help determine which username belongs to which site and it makes it easier to find info in the server.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
yes I enabled it in cpanel but still nothing. I can connect with my info but not with anything else.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Ok I haven`t tried to upload or download yet but I think I got it ....I am connected to ftp using CUTEftp 6.0 pro. In order to connect my settings were =

Host address = ip address
username = anonymous@yourdomain.x10hosting.com
password = anonymous@yourdomain.x10hosting.com
login method = normal

This is all under the general tab of your connection

under the type tab

server type = autodetect
data connection type = use global settings
transfer type = autodetect
server timezone = no offset

This is all I changed and now I can connect to the incoming folder on the server
(hope this helps ...or am I doing something wrong already LOL )

Chris

Reaction score
Yeah, it's right. If you set the settings for uploading, it should work, because it does for me.

You don't need a password though. I don't think it matters, but whatever.

Does anyone know how to make this work with adding anonymous@{domain}? It's kind of "universal" that anonymous accounts are just anonymous, so it might confuse people. I guess I'm a little bit perfectionist, haha.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
So that only allows anonymous users to upload ??? can they download to or is there different settings for that

Chris

Reaction score
Well, by default, which I don't think you can change, they can download. They can only upload files if you set that up in cPanel.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
oh ok cool ...so I have set it up successfully then right ? cool. I tried to upload already and it did start so I guess it has been tested and works good ...thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.