Using Domains With Zone Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

administrator86

Reaction score
Heya,

I'm trying to link up my .co.cc domain to my hosting. I know you could do this through name servers but I wanted to make an external forum provider site compatible with a subdomain. So I opted for using zone records.

I set the records up like this:
(ignore the mx records, those are for a Google apps account)
ZoneRecs.jpg

For about 2 hours or so the setup was doing fine. mydomain.co.cc linked to the main account, and forums.mydomain.co.cc linked to the forums page. After those 2 hours the main domain stopped working and (at least for me) displayed a "cannot connect to server" error. The forum subdomain is working fine though.

I was wondering, have I done anything wrong here? Are there records missing? I'm pretty certain the 216.245.205.6 address is for Chopin server, so the only other thing I can think of is a missing record..

Can you advise me here?

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
You have the forums sub-domain attached to the account, but not the main domain. The main domain needs to be a parked or an Addon(assuming thats what you want, i can't tell since you blanked out all the names)

Also, set a cname and point it to chopin.x10hosting.com, as you never know when the main IP will change.

administrator86

Reaction score
You have the forums sub-domain attached to the account, but not the main domain. The main domain needs to be a parked or an Addon(assuming thats what you want, i can't tell since you blanked out all the names)

Main domain is working as a parked domain, it's currently pointing to the main directory. Worked with name servers so I'll assume I set this bit up correctly. :biggrin: I blanked out the names because I don't like having people see an incomplete website. I'm just stubborn like that. :rolleyes:

Also, set a cname and point it to chopin.x10hosting.com, as you never know when the main IP will change.

Co.cc wont let me set up anything but subdomains with a CNAME. So even though I could get forums.mydomain.co.cc to point to chopin.x10hosting.co.cc I can't get just mydomain.co.cc to do the same.

That's where my problem is, I want the forums to work with the subdomain but they need zone records, and I've got no idea where to go from here. :frown: It might be that with all of my fiddling that the domain is only down because of the 48 hour sync period, but the subdomain works so why doesn't my domain..? :confused:

It's moments like these that make you hate computers...

Last edited:

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
You can set domain records in cpanel, so if you set x10 as your nameserver, you can point the forums subdomain to wherever you need, and you can point your mail to google.

Otherwise i don't see the domain in your parked list. You may try removing it and re-adding it as a parked domain.

administrator86

Reaction score
You can set domain records in cpanel, so if you set x10 as your nameserver, you can point the forums subdomain to wherever you need, and you can point your mail to google.
Doesn't pointing the subdomain mean redirection? That sort of breaks the point, I hated the original address for the forums, so I wanted a forums.mydomain.co.cc/stuff instead of a s4.theirdomain.com/stuff, I tried pointing the mail to Google yesterday using name servers (via MX entries, is this right?), sent several test messages. 1 returned a perma-failiure notice, the others simply didn't arrive.

Otherwise i don't see the domain in your parked list. You may try removing it and re-adding it as a parked domain.
Really? I saw it ok. Lemmee try...... Done.. See it now?

---------- Post added 09-02-2010 at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-01-2010 at 07:12 PM ----------

Hello? Problem's still unresolved. I just checked the domain after leaving it over-night (at least where I am) and nothing. Ok, so at least I'm certain it's a problem on my end now..

Does anyone out there know how to correctly set up the zone records? Or get subdomains and mx servers to work with name servers?

Last edited:

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
When i ping chopin i get 69.175.104.34

Also i mean you can set A and CNAME records, not simple redirects, along with MX records.

Last edited:

administrator86

Reaction score
When i ping chopin i get 69.175.104.34
!!!

Also i mean you can set A and CNAME records, not simple redirects, along with MX records.
Where do I set those? When I tried doing CNAME in combo with name servers co.cc just erased the name servers I put in...

Last I checked, you couldn't do CNAME and As in CPanel... I'll try the new IP (how I got this wrong... I...) if this works then I wont need to set anything else. I'll post again if/when it works.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

You have got to be kidding me...

Success! The new IP was right for the A record, the co.cc is working as my main address.

Problem solved. Thanks for the help!! :wink:

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Since Your problem is resolved Now. I am going to close this thread to mark it as resolved. Feel free to create a new thread if you need more help.
***Thread Closed***

Status
Not open for further replies.