Using GMail with SMF

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartflight

Reaction score
I have had problems setting GMail and SMF up to work together. Since a lot of you are having problems, I thought I might post a clean guide on how to use them together.

GMail
- Register an account.
- Goto settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> Select 'Enable POP for all mail'
- You're done setting up GMail.

SMF 2.0 RC2 (In SMF 1, you goto Admin -> Features and Options -> Server Settings! But then, it's just a guess)

- Goto Maintenance -> Mail -> Settings
- Use the following settings. The queue option is set up as per x10hosting's limit. If you don't want your account suspended, do as it says here:

Enable mail queue: Tick (On)
Maximum emails to send per minute: 1
Maximum amount of emails to send per page load: 1

Mail Type: SMTP
SMTP server: ssl://smtp.gmail.com (Don't miss out the ssl:// ! It didn't work without that, for me)
SMTP port: 465
SMTP username: username@gmail.com / username@googlemail.com (First one will do for most users)
SMTP password: The password you use with your above mentioned GMail account

- You're done setting up both of them, and they should be working. I have tested it with a new account for activation email and it works.

Good luck! ;)

Last edited:

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
I have had problems setting GMail and SMF up to work together. Since a lot of you are having problems, I thought I might post a clean guide on how to use them together.

GMail
- Register an account.
- Goto settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> Select 'Enable post for all mail'

SMF 2.0 RC2 (In SMF 1, you goto Admin -> Features and Options -> Server Settings! But then, it's just a guess)

- Use the following settings. They queue option is set up as per x10hosting's limit. If you don't want your account suspended, do as it says here:

SMTP server: ssl://smtp.gmail.com (Don't miss out the ssl:// ! It didn't work without that, for me)
SMTP username: username@gmail.com / username@googlemail.com (First one will do for most users)

- You're done setting up both of them, and they should be working. I have tested it with a new account for activation email and it works.

Good luck! ;)

Thanks smartflight ! i was searching for it.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score

GMail
- Register an account.
- Goto settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> Select 'Enable post for all mail'

- Use the following settings. They queue option is set up as per x10hosting's limit. If you don't want your account suspended, do as it says here:

Good luck! ;)

Helpful :)

but this is wrong section for this post. This thread must be in Tutorials section

smartflight

Reaction score
You're welcome. :)

An interesting observation was that GMail suspected my account when I received the activation email.
It might be because I requested activation on the account which was used to send out the emails.

If anyone else comes across this issue, just have your account verified by SMS, it will only take seconds.
There's a second option too, but I don't remember it.

smartflight

Reaction score
Helpful :)

but this is wrong section for this post. This thread must be in Tutorials section

I posted it here since anyone who is about to post about the error will look it up here.
It would be best if you move it to the correct board after the PHP mailing issues are resolved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.