Using my own domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
I have the Following web address registered:
www.EdisonTigersAlumni.com

That is the intended Home Page for ALL Edison High School (Fresno, CA) Alumni.

I have set the Name Server Settings on 007Names.com (the place I registered with) according to X10 requirements:
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

I have NOT adjusted any DNS settings on 007Names because they advise EITHER entering the Name Server info OR playing with the DNS Settings.

I have uploaded my HTML Index Page...it is in the "Public_HTML" folder on X10...

I can view it on the X10 Assigned webpage (xxxxx.x10hosting.com) and it looks great...but when I go to www.EdisonTigersAlumni.com I get a Blank Page and a "Server Not Found" message.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit:
I DO NOT want to bounce people from EdisonTigersAlumni.com to the X10 Supplied Page.

Also, I HAVE adjusted my "Account Details" on X10 by checking the "Check if using your own domain name" box and have entered "www.EdisonTigersAlumni.com" in the field below that box...and of course, I HAVE clicked the "Confirm Domain" & "Confirm Hosting Details" Buttons.

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited:

furtoosh

Reaction score
In your Cpanel, under Domains, click Addon Domains and creat one.

Last edited:

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
OK...trying to do that...but it's asking me for a "Username" and "Password"...what is this for? I don't have ne thing like this configured with 007Names.

furtoosh

Reaction score
You mean in under Create an Addon Domain? If so:

The username would be the subdomain you registered at x10Hosting.
The password: any password.
Edit:
I see that Index of / page appears. I believe you may need to remove the Addon Domain you created and start creating one again. Make sure this time, in the Document Root textbox, only public_html is there.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like I can see the site, is this all set?

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
Corey,
No...I am having trouble adjusting the settings...I'm certain that it's largely due to ignorance on my part.

I currently have it going to the website...but instead of it displaying the Index.Html...it's showing an FTP Style Parent Directory...I have tried adjusting the "Redirect" setting but all to no avail.

How do I get it to display the Index upon a person entering "www.EdisonTigersAlumni.com" in their browse?

Once I adjust THAT setting, do I have to do anything to get the links on the Index page to automatically refer to the proper HTML files, other than placing the files in question in the public_html folder (ie Submission.html, TeacherAdmin.html, etc)? Right now the Links on Index page for the Submission page, for example...points to "www.EdisonTigersAlumni.com/Submission" ...Should it instead point to "www.x10hosting.com/EHS/xxxxxxxxx/Submission.html" or something or is it properly configured?

Thanks so much...I hope I am NOT wasting your time with juvenile questions, but I HAVE searched around the forum for answers already.

Josh

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I see the problem, one thing I did fix was removing the www. from your domain setup. That automatically gets setup with it ;).

The problem is your site is Index.html, it needs to be index.html (Lowercase).

frooble

Reaction score
It should also be noted that when working on a website its a good idea to keep ALL filenames lowercase only. Windows couldn't care less whether its Index.html or index.html, but to a *nix-based system they're totally different files.

If you're like me, you develop the site on a windows-based computer, so it'll never be a problem while you test the site. Most web servers, however, are *nix-based, and you'll run into all sorts of strange problems. Keep everything lowercase to make your own life easier :)

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
Makes sense...KINDA...I use the combination of Uppercase/Lowercase to help break-up a LONG word into easily identifiable smaller words:
edisontigersalumni versus
EdisonTigersAlumni

A LOT easier to read...Imma have to break myself from that habit or just keep in mind that it's different on "*nix-based" configurations...

Thanks SO MUCH! I think this has solved my problems...I will have MANY more Qs in the future...but thus far, this site & it's constituents have been fabulous!

Josh

RifleEyes

Reaction score
I'm having problems with this too.

The domain name is horizonsonfire.net and the account is horizonsonfire.elementfx.com.

The nameservers are set and everything. I've had the domain as an addon, then parked, then an addon, then parked, then an addon, and parked again. Nothing seems to work.

I've done multiple DNS flushes, and I'd think my ISP flushes theirs more than this. But you never know.

Tips guys? Fixes? Helps?

Thanks in advances.

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
ok...here's my best guess:
go to the place U registered horizonfire.com and MAKE SURE that the Name Servers are:
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

MY MISTAKE...I am using x10hosting...U R using elementfx.com...check the elementfx.com forum to find out what the Name Server should be...I would GUESS ns1.elementfx.com & ns2.element.fx.com

Then go to your cPanel (probably horizonsonfire.elementfx.com:2082)
Under "Domains" click "Addon Domains"
Enter "horizonsonfire.com" in the "New Domain Name:" field
Enter your elementfx.com log-in info in the "Subdomain/Ftp Username" and "Password" fields
Enter "public_html" in the "Document Root" field
click "Add Domain"

DO NOT forward...in my case ne ways...

MAKE SURE that whatever files U have uploaded are in the "public_html" folder.

I think that this should work for you...
Josh

Last edited:

mr kennedy

Reaction score
ok...here's my best guess:
go to the place U registered horizonfire.com and MAKE SURE that the Name Servers are:
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

MY MISTAKE...I am using x10hosting...U R using elementfx.com...check the elementfx.com forum to find out what the Name Server should be...I would GUESS ns1.elementfx.com & ns2.element.fx.com

Then go to your cPanel (probably horizonsonfire.elementfx.com:2082)
Under "Domains" click "Addon Domains"
Enter "horizonsonfire.com" in the "New Domain Name:" field
Enter your elementfx.com log-in info in the "Subdomain/Ftp Username" and "Password" fields
Enter "public_html" in the "Document Root" field
click "Add Domain"

DO NOT forward...in my case ne ways...

MAKE SURE that whatever files U have uploaded are in the "public_html" folder.

I think that this should work for you...
Josh

lol elementfx.com doamin is also owned by x10... along with pcriot.com and exofire.net.

these 3 domains also use the x10 NS's and remember, it usually takes 24-48 hours to update ;)

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
lol elementfx.com doamin is also owned by x10... along with pcriot.com and exofire.net.

these 3 domains also use the x10 NS's and remember, it usually takes 24-48 hours to update ;)

I realize that x10 "owns" the other 3...but that doesn't mean AUTOMATICALLY that the NSs are the same...they are if U say that they are (I'm assuming that U have done the research)...but in reality the NSs could be anything that the "Owners" set them as.

Josh

RifleEyes

Reaction score
I realize that x10 "owns" the other 3...but that doesn't mean AUTOMATICALLY that the NSs are the same...they are if U say that they are (I'm assuming that U have done the research)...but in reality the NSs could be anything that the "Owners" set them as.

Josh

It does if you've done the research. It'd be silly for them to have them pointed all over, anyway.

Anyway, I know for the most part how to set a domain up. I'm either still waiting for propagation or something else is up. I guess we'll find out.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
When I did a whois on your domain it came up with:
Name Server: NS1.ABAC.COM
Name Server: NS2.ABAC.COM

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
Just to clarify...Corey's message is to "Rifle Eyes"...right? This is kinda ironic, as he scoffed me above about the issue of the NS being the problem. :p

SIMPLE Fix...

Last edited:

RifleEyes

Reaction score
Yeah, I did a simple whois using whois.net, which apparently blows because it says:

ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

So I did one elsewhere and it says ABAC =\

Ah well. I talked to the registrar about it.

EdisonTigersAlumni

Reaction score
ok...well at least it should be an easy fix...I wonder if Corey is actually using WHOIS bcuz UR saying that it's giving the 2 of U diff results.
Josh

RifleEyes

Reaction score
No, on multiple other WHOISs it returns ABAC.
Edit:
Balls. So this is just going to be a forwarder to my subdomain?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.