Using my own domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshG

Reaction score
Alright so I use DynDNS and bought my own domain name since I run a small private server of my own for my friends. I went to this website since it seems to be the best free hosting site out there that I could use for all of my public needs that my private server wouldn't be able to handle. In my account options I have selected to use my own domain name and have typed it in. However, when I type it in it comes up with a redirection error. I tried searching for solutions but I couldn't really find an answer. Could someone please push me in the right direction?

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
The problem is that you configured your domain with "www". This will mess entry's. It should always be configured WITHOUT "www".
I've fixed this for you, your domain should be working correctly now.

Please check it.

JoshG

Reaction score
Well it still won't work. When I try http://www.mwsoftware.net it fails miserably. Still the same thing. Do I have to add some kind of record or something in my Custom DNS account on DynDNS? I'm not really sure what to do.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Is there some kind of way to change your nameservers for the domain? If so, point the nameservers to ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting

I am fairly unsure about domains, but if the nameservers are not set to x10 hosting, i do believe the domain won't work.

JoshG

Reaction score
In my account I've done this:

www.mwsoftware.net NS ns1.x10hosting.com
www.mwsoftware.net NS ns2.x10hosting.com
but when i type in www.mwsoftware.net i get a connection timed out error. Do i have to point just the mwsoftware.net to the name servers, if so I don't see an option to do that with DynDNS, is there anything else i can do?

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Have you parked your domain in your cpanel? Or have you added it as your primary domain?

JoshG

Reaction score
The domain is my primary domain.
Edit:
If this helps at all..from what i understand...
mwsoftware.net is pointed to DynDNS' nameservers and i can't change that
www.mwsoftware.net is point to x10hosting's nameservers but doesn't work.

Last edited:

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmm, i am actually unsure on how DynDNS works, i will move this to level two support for you and see if we can get this resolved.

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
Looking at the info for your domain (via whois)

Login to your account at https://www.dyndns.com/+domains/ to manage nameservers and contacts for your domain.

So if you change the name servers to x10s, and allow time for it to propogate (upto 72 hours) it should work.

www.mwsoftware.net is not a domain, www is a hostname, so you wouldnt be able to point name servers for it, only give it an IP and if you did that but used one of the name server IPs, your sites not there, so that wouldnt work.

I would go with setting your name servers to x10s :)

JoshG

Reaction score
OH! I get it now. thank you so very much for the clarification. Well i'm off to fix it now. Problem solved.

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
If you need anything else, Please feel free to ask. Closed

[admin attention closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.