VB.NET taking over from C++?

Status
Not open for further replies.

networker

Reaction score
I was wondering.C++ is obviously a big language but it seems
VB.net is definitly catching up to it.For
example VB.net is extremely good with windows API functions now.
They also now have the intptr type which is supposed to offset
c++'s pointer type advantage.
Can anybody see the day when VB.net is the number 1 most
important and used language?

Daniel S

Reaction score
I started to study c++ i have only done a bit and i managed to make a simple inches to centremeters converter. In c++ i don think you ca make programs to run in windows with out using a command prompt.

In vb.NET i think it is easier to make windows compatible programs.

networker

Reaction score
C++ is indeed used in Windows(without the command prompt).
Any say Microsft office application
such as access,excel is written in microsoft foundation classes(C++).
For example Microsoft paint will be written in c++..It dominates
right now.

Last edited:

Hazirak

Reaction score
I started to study c++ i have only done a bit and i managed to make a simple inches to centremeters converter. In c++ i don think you ca make programs to run in windows with out using a command prompt.
No, you can, I've done it. You just have to understand the Windows API instead of relying on another program to understand it for you.

VB.NET is becoming more popular for simple Windows applications, but you can't use anything.NET for something that isn't intended for Windows - .NET, to the best of my knowledge, is a framework solely for the Windows operating system. That right there will keep it from completely replacing something like C++, which can be used to develop cross-platform applications.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you can, I've done it. You just have to understand the Windows API instead of relying on another program to understand it for you.

VB.NET is becoming more popular for simple Windows applications, but you can't use anything.NET for something that isn't intended for Windows - .NET, to the best of my knowledge, is a framework solely for the Windows operating system. That right there will keep it from completely replacing something like C++, which can be used to develop cross-platform applications.

MONO please. Thank you.

Linux version of .net. Not as up to date as ACTUAL .net, but it's working on it.

Just thought I'd get that out there so everyone knows there is a version of .net being worked on for other platforms :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software) <--- link.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Reaction score
That will never ever happen. VB has its use, which is simple, quickly made, Windows-only applications.

C++ is flexible, it can be used in OS kernels, 3D graphics, command-line applications, GUI applications (through wxWidgets, GTK+, Windows API, QT, Xlib, etc.), and anything.

Last edited:

Hazirak

Reaction score
MONO please. Thank you.

Linux version of .net. Not as up to date as ACTUAL .net, but it's working on it.

Just thought I'd get that out there so everyone knows there is a version of .net being worked on for other platforms :)
Huh... never heard of Mono, but I suppose that would put an interesting spin on things.

Interestingly enough, it (along with the Windows .NET framework) seems to use a JIT compiler, I wonder how that impacts performance as compared to a static compiler (can't seem to figure out which method C++ uses, but I'm pretty sure it's static)?

Status
Not open for further replies.