Vegetarians

How do you classify your eating habits?

• Omnivore - Whatever I feel like putting into my mouth.

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • Vegetarian - No "meat," but other animal products are a-ok!

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Vegan - No animal products for me, thankyouverymuch!

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other - Anything else: meatitarian, candytarian, cannibal, you name it.

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
PS, I never realized how many of us are sorta picky on the types of meat we eat (if you eat meat).

Find me someone who would eat any kind of meat no matter how cheap or expensive, and I'll show you a flying leprechaun pig (and then feed it to that person you found).

Everyone's got their favorites obviously, and depending how it's prepared meat might taste completely different than normal (which also means it might taste absolutely horrible to some people :) )

For instance, last Christmas. We had both Ham and Turkey. Now, I have absolutely -no- idea why, but everyone who tried it (3 in my family, 2 of my friends, and 6 of my relatives) all thought the same thing - the Ham tasted like Turkey (so we called it Tam), and the Turkey tasted like Ham (Hurkey!)

Plus beef in particular seems to be insanely wide variations on how it's prepared - steak and hamburger sure don't taste the same, but they come from the same place :)

As for why I'm an omnivore and not a vegetarian? No idea. Just tastes good I guess (get me a salad that tastes like a bucket-o-KFC and I'll switch instantly!)

Last edited:

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Funny story: My friend has been a Vegatarian for a long time now, but the other day I caught her eating a Hot Dog... LOL

zen-r

Reaction score
Funny story: My friend has been a Vegatarian for a long time now, but the other day I caught her eating a Hot Dog... LOL

A parallel to this would be that some people make a point never to steal because they know it is wrong, but may still succumb to stealing when faced with temptation & a moment of weakness.

Anyway, do you know for sure that they weren't eating a veggie hotdog?

Last edited:

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Actually it turns out that she has a health problem... The doctor ORDERED her to eat meat or take protein pills or she shall DIE (dun dun dun...)

Or something like that...

zen-r

Reaction score
If that's what she said, I'd treat it with suspicion if I was you. Either that, or the doctor's an idiot.

There are plenty of healthy ways to get ample protein without eating meat or taking pills. Beans, pulses, TVP (textured vegetable protein) tofu, etc. One of the tastiest meat alternatives is Quorn & it comes in various forms including mince & large chunks - it tastes a bit like chicken.

Vegetarians are generally far healthier than meat eaters, because of their diet & also because vegetarians usually take more time to understand & control what they eat. Ask any doctor (who knows what he's talking about ;) )

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(bottom corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave a positive iTrader Feedback. Thanks.

Last edited:

Parsa44

Reaction score
If that's what she said, I'd treat it with suspicion if I was you. Either that, or the doctor's an idiot.

There are plenty of healthy ways to get ample protein without eating meat or taking pills. Beans, pulses, TVP (textured vegetable protein) tofu, etc. One of the tastiest meat alternatives is Quorn & it comes in various forms including mince & large chunks - it tastes a bit like chicken.

Vegetarians are generally far healthier than meat eaters, because of their diet & also because vegetarians usually take more time to understand & control what they eat. Ask any doctor (who knows what he's talking about ;) )

Actually I think the doctor might be right there.

Nothing has such a good source of protien than meat itself sure you can eat tofu or Quorn but its never as nutritous as a steak for example.

Tthe doctor probably scared her into eating meat by saying that her protien levels where extreamly low ect ect.

zen-r

Reaction score
Actually I think the doctor might be right there.

Nothing has such a good source of protien than meat itself sure you can eat tofu or Quorn but its never as nutritous as a steak for example.

Tthe doctor probably scared her into eating meat by saying that her protien levels where extreamly low ect ect.

Nonsense. Lol.

A balanced diet involves a lot more nutrients than just protein. If her protein levels were so low that she had to eat only sources of the highest protein she would either be in hospital, or not eating a hotdog. The sausage is usually of low & poor quality meat content, & contains lots of other filler such as rusk etc. And the sausage is in a bun - not meat!

And define nutritious. There may be high protein levels in steak, but it is hard to digest by the human body, & the meat contains animal fats which can lead to obesity, high cholesterol & heart disease.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Well actually both of you have a good point...

Her father does not want to spend extra on her to buy here all the protein pills, etc... so she had to "quit" being a vegetarian because she herself could not afford the pills.

She said that when she gets "out of the house" she will go back to being a vegetarian.

And I do find that there is noting more health to eat than, well, everything. All the important food groups (Bread, Fruits/Veggies, Meat, and Dairy) should be eaten from, not only is it healthy but it makes you feel (and what everyone wants now days) and look good.

But I also find that vegetarians do have some points: today we process live stock like we make cars and computers; in factories,etc...

In the end: All must agree that there is nothing better than a good BLT Burger...

zen-r

Reaction score
Well actually both of you have a good point...

Her father does not want to spend extra on her to buy here all the protein pills, etc... so she had to "quit" being a vegetarian because she herself could not afford the pills.

She said that when she gets "out of the house" she will go back to being a vegetarian.

And I do find that there is noting more health to eat than, well, everything. All the important food groups (Bread, Fruits/Veggies, Meat, and Dairy) should be eaten from, not only is it healthy but it makes you feel (and what everyone wants now days) and look good.

But I also find that vegetarians do have some points: today we process live stock like we make cars and computers; in factories,etc...

In the end: All must agree that there is nothing better than a good BLT Burger...

What's this flippin' obsession with protein pills? They're not needed. Eat a balanced diet as a vegetarian & be healthy & save money not spend more - meat is generally an expensive way to obtain protein. And as I said, vegetarians are generally healthier than the meat-eating population, which rather undermines your comment that people should eat all food groups.

It sounds to me more like your friends family think of her being a veggie as an inconvenience to them - the rest of them eating meat-based meals & not wanting to sort out separate meals for her. This is the problem for most veggies living in such families - they often just end up eating the same meals as the rest of the family, but without the meat. This is a recipe for disaster because not only will they receive a poor diet, but may also feel like they are missing out on what the rest are having (the meat) & may get tempted or pressured into eating meat again.

The only way to succeed as a veggie in these conditions is either if you live with a supportive family, have a strong will, or move out!

reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.

Last edited:

Zdroyd

Reaction score
What's this flippin' obsession with protein pills? They're not needed. Eat a balanced diet as a vegetarian & be healthy & save money not spend more - meat is generally an expensive way to obtain protein. And as I said, vegetarians are generally healthier than the meat-eating population, which rather undermines your comment that people should eat all food groups.

It sounds to me more like your friends family think of her being a veggie as an inconvenience to them - the rest of them eating meat-based meals & not wanting to sort out separate meals for her. This is the problem for most veggies living in such families - they often just end up eating the same meals as the rest of the family, but without the meat. This is a recipe for disaster because not only will they receive a poor diet, but may also feel like they are missing out on what the rest are having (the meat) & may get tempted or pressured into eating meat again.

The only way to succeed as a veggie in these conditions is either if you live with a supportive family, have a strong will, or move out!

reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.

I do not think she is that of an "extreme" vegetarian, I think she was just doing it to have a change in life. (she laughs when I talk about the chicken processing process.)

thebabyhater

Reaction score
Most people don't realize that a good percentage of the protein in (non grass-fed) beef comes from the high soy content in the cows' feed. A large percentage of worldwide soybean usage goes to animal feed - vegetarians just skip a step in the protein chain. :)

Also, the argument that vegetarians don't get enough nutrition is really unfounded. Many societies and cultures across the world thrive without meat. I'd suggest reading Pollan's book In Defense of Food... very interesting read.

dbojan

Reaction score
I'm omnivore, i would like to be vegetarian but i don't think i could survive it.

pietimer

Reaction score
I know quite a few vegans and vegetarians, but all of them have different reasons for eating that way. I for one am a vegetarian not because I love animals, but because I HATE vegetables.

Jonthefisherman

Reaction score
I used to think vegetarians where a load of b.s until I listened to what some of my idols from certain bands had to say. However I wasn't trying to copy them, after hearing their opinions and did some research on the internet and have formed my own opinion about vegetarians. I believe that yes, some animals are treated cruelly (sp?) and we we're made to eat meat. So it comes down to you're own opinion.
Personally, I am only a teenager and my parents wouldn't allow me to be a vegetarian if I wanted to. So its something to think about when I'm older.

rahulkhatri

Reaction score
i am an omnivore
i eat lamb and chicken only
no beef

i cant understand vegans
they dnt even use animal products!!

yo12334

Reaction score
I`m a vegan, i do it for health reasons of course and animals not dieing also just because your a vegan doesn't mean you eat grass and tofu, theres a lot of normal food we can eat
Pizza
Cake
Spaghitta
And so on

But, I've never really like meats. I in no way what so ever try to avoid meat, but I'm mostly vegeterian simply because I don't enjoy eating it. I guess you could say I'm picky. Lol
Also i hate when people say this, its so stupid your not a vegan or a vegetarian, and couldn't even know how its like.

Then again, it's all part of the food chain.
Not really we are a advanced civilization, but sadly we act like lesser species.

Actually it turns out that she has a health problem... The doctor ORDERED her to eat meat or take protein pills or she shall DIE (dun dun dun...)
Yes meat is a addiction so of course people get sick not eating it, just like any other kind of addiction.
Her father does not want to spend extra on her to buy here all the protein pills, etc... so she had to "quit" being a vegetarian because she herself could not afford the pill
Protein pills my ass, read above what i said.

i cant understand vegans
they dnt even use animal products!
Sure its hard, but you will gain much more of it then you lost, though i`m a atheist it does say in the bible.

Though shall not kill.

jbdesign

Reaction score
I guess I would fit into the "other" group. I eat a mostly vegetarian diet. The only meat I eat is fish and I drink a ton of milk and I don't eat eggs (except in baked goods like cake :)). Now here is the kicker, it's not because I'm a PeTA person or some "fur is murder" person, it's because I just don't like the taste of most meat and the sulfury taste of eggs, odd hu?

I am all for sustaining life by doing your own hunting and fishing in accordance with local and federal laws, if you have the time, money, and means to do so, then why not?

And the health benefits from eating like this are nice, but some people just gotta have that burger or steak and that's perfectly fine by me because I don't like the taste of it, so more for you!

kieran5676

Reaction score
I am an omnivore, but now the prospect of candytarian sounds good... :drool: