Votes: 1 12.5%
  • PCI Express

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thewinator

Reaction score
Hehe, I think you mean AGP vs PCI-e ;)
And obviously there is nothing to prefer.
PCI-e cards are cheaper and faster.
So PCI-e ftw :p

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I don't have a PCI-e card on my slot so it should be AGP, you should change the question to whether AGP or PCI-e.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
My old PC (bought Dec 2004) didn't even have AGP. Was stuck with a Radeon 9200SE PCI edition up till about 3 months ago.

Blazer9131

Reaction score
PCI-e, They are hella faster than VGA. Plus they are cheap, and even old comps have them.

Josh1billion

Reaction score
Assuming you mean AGP, not VGA...

PCI-Express is the newer technology. This is like asking "which do you like better, DDR or DDR2 RAM?"

PCI-e, They are hella faster than VGA. Plus they are cheap, and even old comps have them.

Regarding your statement "even old comps have them": Not true, PCI-Express is a (relatively) new technology. I believe it was first introduced within the last few years.

Last edited:

sleepingferret

Reaction score
PCI as in the second form of "expansion" slot that was added to the industry list of standards after ISA, is the CHEAPEST. But as far as graphics cards go, they don't make PCI based graphics cards anymore. You'd either have to have one from an old system or one that you bought a few years ago, or try and find one on Ebay or something.

As for the current standards, AGP and PCI-E (aka PCI-Express). AGP is cheaper because it has been out longer, and has already reached what designers have believed to be it's peak of performance capabilities. PCI-E which has only been out within the past couple years has brought about new possibilities but unfortunately at the moment, you do pay more for it.

The only unfortunate thing the new PCI-E era has brought about, is that for users to upgrade to PCI-E graphics cards they have to replace their motherboards, which usually means replacing the CPU and memory as well. Which while to take full advantage of the new technologies, it isn't a bad thing...the downside of course becomes the cost.

So in the end, the while overall PCI-E is the best option as it is where the future is heading, at least until something new comes around, whereas AGP is becoming a fading star; many users decisions will still be based upon their pocketbooks.

thezone1

Reaction score
Theres no point to VS thats like saying old tv vs new tv its obvious,
i think youd have been better to ask What do people have AGP or PCi-E,
on that point i have pci-e since its the newer technology and is much faster

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
In my desktop I got AGP. I think AGP cards and boards would be more expensive. They are in my country. almost 2x the price for some.

gwuapo2007

Reaction score
AGP supports more 3D, and if you will research more you will know that the slot should be AGP not VGA.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Like the aforementioned, this poll should be AGP vs PCI-E; PCI-E will definitely win out, it's bandwidth/data processing rate is incredible! It will soon be the standard for all motherboards hopefully.

sleepingferret

Reaction score
AGP doesn't support more of anything at all. The major differences between the two architectures aside from the physical connection appearance, sometimes physical card size, bus speeds and transfer rates each architecture is capable of (PCI-E being faster than AGP), and most PCI-E cards support more advanced features that a AGP card doesn't because of the advanced architecture and speeds.

More complex shaders and rendering require more processing power, more memory; and in turn more responsive transferring between CPU -> GPU/VRAM -> your display. And PCI-E delivers with all in a nice neat package.

AGP right now may still hold a decent market share for a while, as it fades out as people slowly replace their hardware over the next year or two. But when the prices of PCI-E start dropping, AGP will be another part of computer history.