video sharing script help...

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
for my videos section on my website [CYK Studios] i have a flash video player i retrieved from a friend, and now i need help basically creating a youtube clone page on my site thats also linked to my Archives page.

Any help is very much appreciated.

zapzack

Reaction score
You can't make youtube-like sites on x10, where users upload videos. This is against the TOS.

Last edited:

themerful

Reaction score
Yes zapzack is right. You cannot have a script where users upload files on x10 hosting because it is against TOS.

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
i dont want them to upload the videos, i will upload the videos like a normal web admin would, and then post them in the archives, they will just be able to watch, rate, and comment, they wont be uploading anything.

Chrisisrad

Reaction score
What do you have right now? (if anything.)

What you want to do is some work.
sounds to me like you'll need..

1. Approve/ Deny Comments.
  2. Upload, name, archaive videos.
  3. Delete, edit, disable Videos.
  4. A .flv, or what ever your using for your format player.
  5. Video views.
  6. Video Rating system.

All of that is a lot, unless you already have the script if you do, I really hope its a legal licensed script.

Reply back ill see if i can help you out at all.

good luck!

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
What do you have right now? (if anything.)

What you want to do is some work.
sounds to me like you'll need..

1. Approve/ Deny Comments.
  2. Upload, name, archaive videos.
  3. Delete, edit, disable Videos.
  4. A .flv, or what ever your using for your format player.
  5. Video views.
  6. Video Rating system.

All of that is a lot, unless you already have the script if you do, I really hope its a legal licensed script.

Reply back ill see if i can help you out at all.

good luck!

the only thing i have is the flv video player, i dont have anything else, which i know is a huge amount to ask for, but i am willing to do this all for my learning sake. So one way or another i will get this all to run as best i can with or without help.

anyways, for the videos i was thinking [so that i dont have to waste huge amounts of disc space] i would be able to link all the videos from my youtube channel. like on my site in the archives and videos section they would be links to view the video on the site and on my channel as well. that way i can have lots and lots of videos without disc space issues.

thats about all the planning i have done so far, so please give me any input at all if you have other ideas, good or bad, and ill always take them into consideration. When it comes to web site design i thrive on constructive criticism.

zapzack

Reaction score
do you need comments, ratings, and video views?

Last edited:

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
yes, yes, and can you be more specific on what video views are?

==========================================
Side-note for ZapZack:
the login button disappeared again, i was editing content on my index.php and when i uploaded the new file it disappeared, and i didnt touch the header.php file
==========================================

zapzack

Reaction score
You touched the header.php file.. And now its at a really old copy... why did you replace it..

EDIT: Now you made more work for me.. :mad: I'm trying to fix it now..

EDIT 2: Fixed it where i saw the differences.. I just hope i havent forgot anything.. Do this again and I wont be able to fix it..

Last edited:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Because video hosting is a high bandwidth service, one of the ToS sections you might run afoul of is:
2. High Resource Usage Policy
Resources are defined as bandwidth and/or processor utilization. x10Hosting may implement the following policy to its sole discretion: When a website is found to be monopolizing the resources available x10Hosting, reserves the right to suspend that site immediately. This policy is only implemented in extreme circumstances and is intended to prevent the misuse of our servers. Customers may be offered an option whereby x10Hosting continues hosting the website for an additional fee.
Make sure you keep an eye on your bandwidth usage. If you use up your bandwidth allotment in a very short time, your site is likely to be shut down.

Also, make sure you don't post material other people have copyrighted. The following is also from the ToS:
x10Hosting does not allow any of the following content to be stored on its servers:
Illegal Material: This includes copyrighted works, commercial audio, video, or music files, and any material in violation of any Federal, State or Local regulation. You may not store copyrighted Mp3s on your webspace in any way shape or form.

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
You touched the header.php file.. And now its at a really old copy... why did you replace it..

EDIT: Now you made more work for me.. :mad: I'm trying to fix it now..

EDIT 2: Fixed it where i saw the differences.. I just hope i havent forgot anything.. Do this again and I wont be able to fix it..

oh i know what i did, i was uploading my index.php, which is right below my header.php, and i think i accidentally selected that file as well to upload and overwrite the current file. sorry, ill be more careful next time.

Because video hosting is a high bandwidth service, one of the ToS sections you might run afoul of is:

2. High Resource Usage Policy
Resources are defined as bandwidth and/or processor utilization. x10Hosting may implement the following policy to its sole discretion: When a website is found to be monopolizing the resources available x10Hosting, reserves the right to suspend that site immediately. This policy is only implemented in extreme circumstances and is intended to prevent the misuse of our servers. Customers may be offered an option whereby x10Hosting continues hosting the website for an additional fee.

Make sure you keep an eye on your bandwidth usage. If you use up your bandwidth allotment in a very short time, your site is likely to be shut down.

Also, make sure you don't post material other people have copyrighted. The following is also from the ToS:

x10Hosting does not allow any of the following content to be stored on its servers:
Illegal Material: This includes copyrighted works, commercial audio, video, or music files, and any material in violation of any Federal, State or Local regulation. You may not store copyrighted Mp3s on your webspace in any way shape or form.

Is there another way to bypass this [i dont mean like hack it] i mean like another worry-free way so i dont have to worry about that???

zapzack

Reaction score
Use youtube.. If I were you I would just make a custom youtube player playlist.. It's simple..

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
Use youtube.. If I were you I would just make a custom youtube player playlist.. It's simple..

i am using YouTube to hold all of the videos i'll upload, but could you give me more detail on a custom youtube "player playlist"?

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
[ToS elided]

Is there another way to bypass this [i dont mean like hack it] i mean like another worry-free way so i dont have to worry about that???
It looks like you're already doing it. The X10 ToS don't apply to any content hosted on external servers, such as YouTube. You can use another site as an image host, file host or video host and you won't use up any of your X10 bandwidth allotment for the external files. You could even link to copyrighted material without violating the X10 ToS, though the site hosting the material will probably have its own terms about hosting copyrighted material. If you do link to copyrighted material, make sure you display a notice making clear who the copyright holder is and use the material according to United States (which, I believe, is where the X10 servers are located) fair-use guidelines.

As for not overwriting new files with older ones, look for an FTP client with a synchronization feature. FileZilla doesn't have this feature yet, but CyberDuck (for OS X) does. As the free accounts don't allow for remote shells, you can't use rsync, which would otherwise be a great option.

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
cool it works, i dont have any videos uploaded yet but it works. awesome!

now for the archives section. How hard would it be to have something like this in my archives section. [go to the link for the photo]

[Example of Archives]
Edit:
It looks like you're already doing it. The X10 ToS don't apply to any content hosted on external servers, such as YouTube. You can use another site as an image host, file host or video host and you won't use up any of your X10 bandwidth allotment for the external files. You could even link to copyrighted material without violating the X10 ToS, though the site hosting the material will probably have its own terms about hosting copyrighted material. If you do link to copyrighted material, make sure you display a notice making clear who the copyright holder is and use the material according to United States (which, I believe, is where the X10 servers are located) fair-use guidelines.

As for not overwriting new files with older ones, look for an FTP client with a synchronization feature. FileZilla doesn't have this feature yet, but CyberDuck (for OS X) does. As the free accounts don't allow for remote shells, you can't use rsync, which would otherwise be a great option.

can you say that so the i can understand that???

Last edited:

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
Which, the part about the ToS or about synchronization?

both, cause im not following what you said. plus i have a different meaning for the word synchronization...
Edit:
can anyone still help me with my current problem?

now for the archives section. How hard would it be to have something like this in my archives section. [go to the link for the photo]

[Example of Archives]

Last edited:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
both, cause im not following what you said.
The X10 Terms of Service (ToS) only apply to files that you keep on the X10 servers. The X10 ToS doesn't apply to anything stored on another site, such as YouTube videos. You're not using any bandwidth from the X10 server for the videos, just the page & player. You can even play a copyrighted video, if the site hosting the video allows embedded players and you display the copyright and include a link to the other site's page for the video.

plus i have a different meaning for the word synchronization...
Data synchronization basically always means the same thing, whether you're talking about files, data on handhelds (phones &c) or something else. When you have copies of data, they might differ due to age (e.g. the copy of a file on the server is older) or updates (you add a new friend's phone number to the address book on your phone and you add a business contact's number to the address book on your computer). Synchronization means the different sources are updated so the data is the same. FTP clients' synchronization is a little limited: they usually compare the modification date of local and remote files and overwrite the older one with the newer one. FTP clients often let you synchronize in one direction, updating old files on the server but leaving old local files untouched.

rsync is a client, server and protocol to efficiently transfer files (basically, it minimizes the amount of data that needs to be transferred, sending only updates). It can be used to update files, making it great for backup and publishing a website. An rsync client won't work with X10 because it relies on either an rsync daemon (in other words, an rsync server) or remote shells like rsh and ssh, none of which are available. The command line utility can be tricky to use, but there are graphical clients that make it easy. Here are two example commands that both would synchronize a local public_html folder (contained in the current directory) with a remote one:
rsync -a public_html rufussweetwater@lotus.x10hosting.com:/home/rufussweetwater
rsync -a public_html/ rufussweetwater@lotus.x10hosting.com:/home/rufussweetwater/public_html

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
oh... well if i ever need to update my local files, i use FileZilla as my ftp client. it allows me to upload and download files from local to remote and back. I used to use the Dreamweaver ftp add-on but that gave me trouble in the past, plus it was much slower. but i shouldnt have this main problem again...
Edit:
Can anybody still help me with my current problem?

How hard would it be to have something like this in my archives section. [go to the link for the photo]

[Example of Archives]

Last edited: