VPS question

bidzey75

Reaction score
I didn't want to post this is the support forum, because it's not really support, and the VPS forum states "Users with our VPS service can discuss it here." which I'm not.

anyways...

If I'm interested in VPS unmanaged It says that the OS in already installed, which in my case will be CENTOS 5.5. (if this is not correct let me know).

I have a 2 questions.

1) is PERL available immediatly with this OS? (I would be installing Webmin and it runs on PERL)
2) is my VPS going to look like this?

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Howdy;
After your VPS service is established you will have access to a VPS Control Panel where you will be able to select an OS to install on your VPS. There are quite a few choices including Centos.
You will be free to setup your VPS and various services, (such as Perl), as you wish within the limits of the Terms Of Service .
Not completely sure what you are asking in your second question. Your VPS will look the way you want it to look.

Last edited:

bidzey75

Reaction score
thanks Carl, second question is not important, I was just surprised to see how GUI CENTOS was. I'm a web programmer not a Server technician but it's tempting to venture out.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
Usually you don't use a GUI with linux servers. If you want to you can install "CentOS VNC" under the reinstall section in the vps control panel but it really is faster to use ssh or webmin to edit files and do work.
Otherwise GUIs take up allot of cpu cycles and a bit of ram just to draw it.

bidzey75

Reaction score
yes I totally agree, and no I wouldn't want GUI, I much prefer using ssh. I was just surprised to see their product at the CENTOS website.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

ok so I'm now the proud owner of a VPS account :)

I have no problem login in to ssh, but when I try to use the SFTP in the console it freezes for a minute, so then I tried connecting with my local SSH (SSH Secure Shell) no problem there, but when I try to use the file transfer it says the server could not be started probably because of the wrong path. So I checked the sshd_config file and the path seems to be right. The sftp-server is indeed where the config says it is. Anybody have any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

forget it, i got it

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Hello again

I'm doing ok setting up my VPS account, virtualmin is pretty good, I already have a test webpage up :)

my server name is: server1.bidzey.com

I have a registered domain name parked and I want to point it to my VPS account. I need a ns1 and ns2 name server configuration so I can go to my registrar account and use those to point that domain name to my VPS account. How do I go about getting ns1 and ns2 name servers associated with my account?

---------- Post added 05-23-2011 at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-22-2011 at 10:39 PM ----------

forget it, i got it... took me a while but I figured it out

Last edited: