VPS service questions

J.Wales

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a VPS and I have some questions.
I'm not sure which one to get but for now I am fairly certain I will stick with either S1 or D3 because of the price. My plan is to use it for dynamic sites using cgi/perl. I will not be using anything like php or any of those blogger modules, etc etc... I also want to host my own email/webmail. I will need root access. ssh.

I'm assuming I get 1 ip?
I plan on using webmin, will this be a problem? anyone using it?
Hoping to create a few web apps, mess around, and host a few websites. Maybe later it will turn into something but for now it is more for learning/development.

What is the real difference between dedicated vps and vps, cause I can't see one unless I don't get root/ssh with the vps?

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
You get 1 ip, root access, ssh, etc. in the base purchase price. Since you aren't planning on running continuous scripts, the S plans are probably better for you (the Dedicated plans are for if you are running continuous scripts, such as game servers).

You can get webmin installed by default if you reload the VPS from the VPS control panel to an OS template that has it.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
It's also very simple to install webmin from any OS. :)

J.Wales

Reaction score
Sounds good.
What about email boxes? can I host my own emails? any limitations on email accounts?
Where would my server be located? i'm in usa

Last edited:

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
No limits on email, servers in chicago and the dedicated vps gives you a set amount of cpu vs regular vps give fair share of the physical servers cpu. You only have to follow the tos and aup otherwise you control your server only limits are disk space, ram and cpu usage. The dedicated is mainly for game servers, bots, etc that are always running. Webservers don't need dedicated.

Last edited: