• I don t use it, if my site looks good who cares about hidden errors

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • i ve never seen it what is it?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joshua203

Reaction score
How much credit would you give the w3c validator and the errors it might show

i mean lots of errors look just fine when viewed in more than one browser but officially they still are errors

do you check and run away because of the amount of work to repair, do you think it s important to repair every single error you get, do you also validate the css etc etc

comments and/or votes welcome... it s up to you ;)

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
I dont really like i give it a little priority... but not allot. Id pay som1 credits to do it for me. Thats it. I dont see to much of a point if my site works fine when it comes to cross browser compatibility.

Last edited:

zapzack

Reaction score
I dont really like i give it a little priority... but not allot. Id pay som1 credits to do it for me. Thats it. I dont see to much of a point if my site works fine when it comes to cross browser compatibility.

It's good to fix most of the errors as there are browsers that will not see your site correctly.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I like to keep everything I code under W3 standards, so of course I use the validator after I check over my code to see if anything I didn't catch, the Validator finds.

taha116

Reaction score
I know that but i cross browser check things myself anyways plus allot of browsers still see things diferently even if its validated.

Joshua203

Reaction score
i forgot to add my own opinion and vote

i like to check it and see where i messed up, sometimes solving one error takes away 30 others, i think it s a great tool but i do sometimes descide to leave some errors in because they do not work cross platform but also do not cause problems in other browsers

so in short i voted the top choice because i like to remove all errors with a few exceptions (i now accept 7 css errors for scrollbar colouring in explorer)

thank you for all your opinions keep em comming :biggrin:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I find it important to stick to the standards. The more people that do, the more compliant browsers will become. However, if I find an error in an element that is necessary to the page, I won't stress over a perfect score. I use Dreamweaver validation instead of the w3c one.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
My latest website is W3C compliment, HTML, CSS and all. :biggrin:

Although, sometimes it picks up on errors which browsers are fine with.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved to Graphics and Webdesign. See Post 13

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
I didnt think this was off topic and would have been fine in crossfire... but there is barley ant crossfire... everyone agrees except me lol. check the poll

Last edited:

Joshua203

Reaction score
i don t think it should have been moved either, i ve spend time looking if i understood correct that this could be posted in crossfire and thought yeah it belongs but also i don t care about it

i ll just never post in crosfire again simple as that

was that crossfire worthy????

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You're asking for the opinions of others and while opinions are a big part of Crossfire it's not what crossfire is. Crossfire is a debating forum and this thread is far from a debate. If the OP conveyed the thread in a more debatable light instead of listing a few predetermined responses in the poll then yeah it would be appropriate.

But the more I think about it this thread doesn't need to be in off topic either. So I'll just move it to Graphics and Webdesign, where it should have originally have been posted.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes I use it to check my work. It's always a good idea to stick to standards. That way you'll probably spend less time making your web sites cross-browser compatible. Don't forget that many clients are asking for it these days.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I use it to catch the big errors that might throw off some browsers or the search engines, but the little errors I just ignore as long as my sight looks good.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I find it really important to stick with standards. We all know one thing that doesn't stay with standards..... Internet Explorer. :(

vekou

Reaction score
What's the use of the standards if you're not going to follow them (*cough* Microsoft *cough*).

Although most of the time*, websites look similar on "MAJOR" browsers, so there would be no problem for the users. But what about the not-so-popular browsers or even search engine crawlers, they might perceive your page differently.

roadierich

Reaction score
I use it constantly throughout development.

I write php, and it's very easy to output poorly formatted html if you're not paying full attention. So my process for major changes is:

1. save changes.
2. Check page loads correctly
3. Check any behind the scenes changes are correct
4. Validate & correct html

As far as I'm concerned, html is the lowest priority after getting the site working how I want it to, but it's important for it to be correct, so that you know it will display correctly on ALL browsers, even thouse you don't have yourself.

Of course, I think it's foolish not to have as many webbrowsers installed as possible if you're concerned about cross browser compatibility.

str82u

Reaction score
I'm pretty uptight about it now, though my older sites could use it, they scare me and work fine it seems.