Web Disk Return

josh72

Reaction score
Does anyone know when webdisk capabilities will be back up? Why is FTP available but not webdisk? Been waiting for webdisk to come back up for ages. FTP is just a pain for me to work. I've got a slow connection and it just takes ages. So does anyone know when it'll be back up?

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Webdisk will not be back up, it was disabled indefinitely due to abuse by some users. You will have to make do with FTP.

josh72

Reaction score
How can people abuse webdisk? Isn't it just another method of editing files on the server like FTP? Sorry if thats a really dumb question but I'm not really an expert with this stuff.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Probably overuse or something. Maybe people were having it auto-connect when they turned their computer on, which will just eat up server resources for no reason. Either way, there was something there that made the admins decide it was doing more harm than good.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I imagine people were using it to store their own files, not their website, which is against the ToS.

If you really really need webdisk, it isn't disabled in premium hosting.

Also, some FTP clients cache the files, which can speed things up a lot. If you need speed, try one of them.

~Callum

rmissin

Reaction score
Yup, ...I have T-Mobile Web & Walk "Standard", seems they forgot to mention in the T&C's that ftp is blocked.

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/discu...c=801038200b4002012650dabc0c007fb2&nofilter=y

So I allow them to force me to upgrade (which is obviously the intention) or find a new host that provides web disk (If it definately is "disabled indefinately").
I can put up with the cpanel file transfer, guess I'll have to learn a little patience :(

The web disk was perfect for my needs, I used to edit in Dreamweaver and drag and drop the files to the server, cpanel makes it a pain.