Web Server Advice.

supajason

Reaction score
Hello all.

I want to make a web server but i don't leave my computer on 24/7 so i wanted to build one. I have searched the net and haven't really found anything for a beginner.

All i'm looking for is a 10Mbps connection with 2Mb space to store pages.

If anybody can help i would appreciate it.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Well, if your really serious about building a webserver, i wouldnt start out with that.
For a beginner a VPS is great, it gives you all the functionality of a webserver with very little overhead, they each come with 100mbps lines. Even the most basic package, VPS Tiny, can run a full featured web server.

https://clients.x10hosting.com/order.php?gid=6

supajason

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Im not looking to host a real site i just want it for "fun"

I'm looking for a circuit diagram really with some instructions

thanks

Nathan H

Reaction score
Hmmm, your posts have, i'll admit, confused me. Are you trying to build a computer from base components (ie, Caps and resistors etc)? or parts( Cpu, Gpu, Sound, etc)?

supajason

Reaction score
Really sorry!

I want to make a circuit with capacitors and resistor.

PancakeN

Reaction score
Really sorry!

I want to make a circuit with capacitors and resistor.

There is a reason the chips you buy for a computer are made in a factory. Anything your going to build at home isn't going to be useful as any sort of modern computer, there are tons of robotic kits out there at hobby stores and websites that you can buy and play around with but it won't be a highly functional computer that you could use as a server or anything even close.

If you want to make a small private server for yourself check out craigslist and your local thrift stores for some old computers and a monitor if you want it and make a barebones rig. Put some variation of Linux thats designed for older computers and follow the various guides out there on how to set up the various web services.

supajason

Reaction score
There is a reason the chips you buy for a computer are made in a factory. Anything your going to build at home isn't going to be useful as any sort of modern computer, there are tons of robotic kits out there at hobby stores and websites that you can buy and play around with but it won't be a highly functional computer that you could use as a server or anything even close.

If you want to make a small private server for yourself check out craigslist and your local thrift stores for some old computers and a monitor if you want it and make a barebones rig. Put some variation of Linux thats designed for older computers and follow the various guides out there on how to set up the various web services.

I don't want to make a computer with loads of functionality.

I want a circuit board that has a RJ45 connector to plug into my router so serve up web pages nothing more nothing less.

vol7ron

Reaction score
I don't want to make a computer with loads of functionality.

I want a circuit board that has a RJ45 connector to plug into my router so serve up web pages nothing more nothing less.

My guess is that he wants to make it out of components. You can set your home computer up as a server. Just download Apache or learn about IIS. For the specs you mentioned, you won't need any super hardware.

The problem is that it won't be a dedicated server, so you won't be having a static IP address, which is really what is required if you want a "real" web server. If this is just to play games on you can use any decent desktop of today's standards, the more cores, the better.

supajason

Reaction score
firesteel

Thats kind of what i'm looking for but on a small and simplier scale. thanks

vol7ron
I don't want to use my computer! i don't leave it on 24/7 i have a static ip to make a "real" server but i only want a mini only one for some fun!

Nathan H

Reaction score
YOu must of missed hes previous post, he doesnt want it on his computer.

The thing that is the biggest problem with what you want, is feasability. in order to run a http server, which you will need to do in order tos erve web pages, you need a basic computer, so this include, ram, cpu, bios, OS etc. It would be near impossible to create something with the needed complexity on your own.

supajason

Reaction score
YOu must of missed hes previous post, he doesnt want it on his computer.

The thing that is the biggest problem with what you want, is feasability. in order to run a http server, which you will need to do in order tos erve web pages, you need a basic computer, so this include, ram, cpu, bios, OS etc. It would be near impossible to create something with the needed complexity on your own.

Not really if you think about it. why would you need RAM if it was a simple server it wouldn't store any info only on the EEPROM. A CPU yes but nothing like a Ghz or MHz something like a 4Mhz. A BIOS not really because the components would never change so know need for POST.

It would need to know about the TCP/IP stack and thats about it.

check this out:http://www.tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200702/article07021.shtml

that is a web server but has a LCD connected so via web interface you can change the LCD message.

Nathan H

Reaction score
it depends on what your streaming, you wouldnt be able to do anything more than html, php, perl, and just about everything else would need ram. It would also need to know how to react to alot of different situations.