Webmasters: The new magicians?

Garlund

Reaction score
Once apon a time....

There where mortals who could wield powers know as magic.
From the magnus, to the sorceror, to the alchemist (poor magician).
They controlled the fabrics of reality, the fibers of mass, and controlled the elements to do their bidding. Or so history states.

Since then, man has learned to control a new reality: The internet.

Magic has been replaced with technology, magic scrolls replaced by text-documents, and spell components replaced with text-editors, photo-editors and flash designing programs.

What do you think? Are programmers and webdesigners the new mage?

Last edited:

HomerJ

Reaction score
In the view of most people, yes.

In the view of a programmer, or even a very computer literate person, no.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
I think its more like an entertainer, because people awe at it.

BentFX

Reaction score
I believe the title of magician would better hang on the old school programmers who made powerful programs and compelling games run on 64K of memory. I second the idea that modern web designers are simply entertainers. Some are very good entertainers, but by and large it's just window dressing and often at the source code level, it's very sloppy.

Last edited:

FalseHope

Reaction score
I guess so, in a way. Everything will be taken over by technology someday, soon? Maybe not.

dwd2000

Reaction score
Magicians have to be very technical, as well as practice their art to be successful. It's the same with anything we do. The more we practice and perfect our craft, the better we become. It doesn't matter if we are magicians, mechanics, doctors, or whatever.

To me, a true webmaster magician is someone who can write their own programs from scratch, without using existing programs (paid or free) to use on their sites. Unfortunately, I am not such a webmaster. I have just started to discipline myself to not use WYSIWYG editors. If I had more time to learn and implement what I've learned, I could be. So, not all webmasters could fall into your category of magician.

It's a nice thought though.

Mekryd

Reaction score
Mistake number 11 from WebPagesThatSuck.com's article "Biggest Mistakes in Web Design 1995-2015" is "Confusing web design with a magic trick."

So I'd have to say we're anti-magicians. =P

malfist

Reaction score
I disagree. Web designers are just like other programmers, except they can, arguably, do less. If any programmer class would be consider magicians it would have to be the assembly programmer who can do basically anything. Then the C programmer that requires a little less work but can also do a little less. FORTRAN doesn't count :p

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Mistake number 11 from WebPagesThatSuck.com's article "Biggest Mistakes in Web Design 1995-2015" is "Confusing web design with a magic trick."

So I'd have to say we're anti-magicians. =P

I'd never quote an egotistical fool who rates peoples sites to keep his self esteem boosted :squint:

Mekryd

Reaction score
I'd never quote an egotistical fool who rates peoples sites to keep his self esteem boosted :squint:
I would, if he's right (and if the quote is more relevant than a quote from someone who is not an egotistical fool who rates peoples sites to keep his self esteem boosted). Whether or not someone's nice or likable doesn't change the validity of a statement (to suggest so is an 'ad hominem' argument in philosophy).

Steve Jobs, for example, runs his company with an iron fist, but consumers and investors find him huggy-lovable and cling to his words these days, and they have no problem quoting him.

Last edited:

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Lol thats not the problem I have with him, that site, the guy who runs it just thinks hes the hottest thing since sliced bread, and really DOES think he knows how to make the best looking website when the irony is his sucks just as much :) but then again he is just one of the millions on the internet who have no life and run a blog =/