Website creation

jack6128

Reaction score
At issue for me is the apparent mind-bogglingly complicated process that seems to be involved in creating a public website for my small, local home repair business using x10hosting.

A self-describe computer nerd for whom I did some work suggested that I set up a website to complement my craigslist ads. This seemed like a sensible idea, so I googled "free webhosting" or something similar and found x10hosting.

I am fairly computer savvy for a layman, having built, upgraded and configured all of my computers since 286 CPUs and DOS 7. But my knowledge of HTML is limited to creating bold and italicized text and creating hyperlinks. So after setting up an x10hosting account and going to the CPanel for the first time and seeing the "Getting Started Wizard", I thought, "No problemo. I'll just allow myself to be walked through the process."

Boy, was I ever mistaken. Choosing the language was a snap. After clicking the Next Step button, the two-page "Introduction to Web Hosting" seemed to be directing me to the File Manager to get started. And that was it.

Okay, I thought, time to start hacking around. Well, after hacking around and uploading a few images of work that I had done, I realized that I was in for a siege as I knew absolutely nothing about creating a website.

So my question to you is, considering that I find the "Getting Started Wizard" to be absolutely useless, and given the depth and breadth of information that seems to be available on the x10hosting.com website and these forums, how do you suggest that I proceed to create a simple website that potential customers will find useful? Will I have to use HTML to create webpages from scratch? Do I need to purchase website creation software to avoid having to take a crash course in HTML?

Any suggestions you might have for me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

jack6128

Reaction score
Okay, so I discover a link to SiteReptile Website Builder on the CPanel page.

After several tries and getting some kind of error message, I finally got through and my website is up and running:

http://www.berkeley.handyman.x10hosting.com/index.php?p=1_3_Plumbing

I would like to get the text next to the pictures rather than under them, but so far I haven't figured that out.

Something to do while waiting for the phone to ring.

Jack

Last edited:

quiqui

Reaction score
You're doing much better than I am. I can't even figure out how to find my website. This will be my very first post. I hope I can figure out how to do this much. Good luck! :wink:

inusa

Reaction score
You could use a program like Microsoft Frontpage or do a google search for WYSIWYG editor. WYSIWYG stands for "what you see is what you get", so basically its a software that codes the HTML for you. Pretty simple plus its a start to a better understanding of how HTML works plus there is plenty out there that are free

Last edited: