Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Mix of tool and manual

Votes: 37 27.0%
  • Mix of Buy and Manual

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

like2program

Reaction score
Handcoding is the best way to go. No editors at all just notepad++. The reason that I have never used an 'editor' other than the text based notepad++ is because I want to stay fresh and up-to-date with the constant changes out there. WYSIWYG editors just flatout create too much unnecessary code.

Code your web sites using XHTML, external CSS, and tableless and you will then come closer to keeping up with the ever evolving designer world.

I have to agree with you 100%. There is no way to know what is going on unless you code it yourself and see the results. I always recommend external CSS and XHTML (some call it html 5). WYSIWYG editors have to be built for every situation, on the other hand, if you manual code it, you will know exactly what it is going to be used for. Thus you can avoid the useless stuff. I also hate how they make modifications so that Navigator 1.22 can see your page. NO ONE uses Navigator 1.22! The fact that is is hard to make a variable width page really gets me angry too. I want all sorts of sizes to see it like I do, not just 1680*1050(my screen res). Ok that's enough for now. Anyone else?

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Manual Coding baby!
You can customize anything you want however you want.
It is the best choice.

RedhedProductions

Reaction score
I use Frontpage, but never, ever the WYSIWYG editor. It's just completely screws the code if you use it, so I use the code bit and the preveiw bit only.

I don't own dreamweaver, so I don't know about it. Sorry.

Conmiro

Reaction score
I prefer using a editor like dreamweaver also. I also use a content management system. Sometimes I hire people to help me with the stuff I dont know how to do. A mix of all of these things will help you make a well balanced site.

Spritey

Reaction score
I've only ever used a WYSIWYG editor once in my life, and that was in school!

I greatly prefer hand-coding even though I'm still only learning, because of the flexibility and the constantly learning new things bit. I can't really see why you'd want to use something that is inefficient and puts unnecessary code in. Even I can manage and I'm hopeless at coding!

Pi606

Reaction score
I use Visual Web Developer, and it works very well for my needs.

apbios

Reaction score
I've always used dreamweaver to create my templates. I was only 14 years when I first made my templates and made over $2000 over spring break a few years ago by winning in a few Sitepoint contests. :cool:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
It's just completely screws the code if you use it, so I use the code bit and the preveiw bit only.

Yes, I noticed that.
It adds 4382 lines of code where 2 is needed (well, perhaps not that much) and it doesn't do functions.

ssdtanay

Reaction score
i think that if you put any code in dreamwever, then it would be easier for you to understand. and the new version which is CS3 makes everything easier, that is why i picked dreamweaver

Neurosylum

Reaction score
How would you prefer to make a website?
Do you just use a tool like dream weaver?
Do you code it all yourself?
Do you use a mix?
Do you pay someone else to do it for you?
I want to know!

If you just copy and pasted that counts as buying it but for free

I hated Dreamweaver when I first started using it. But like my teacher said a long time ago, "your calculator is only as dumb as you are". So, now that I know a little bit more about web design, Dreamweaver is more helpful in more ways than one.

However, I'm not saying that I know all its little tips and tricks. All I do is type the code by hand (or press enter when it has a word suggestion), and I have yet to delve into the whole program experience.

I'm not keen into paying someone when I already have the tools at hand. Besides, looking at what goes into creating a simple website, it isn't woth paying $150 to let someone do it.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I personally use Dreamweaver, because I like its code highlighting functionality and sometimes its templates are useful, although I do go through and tidy up the markup afterwards and fix any validation issues that may have arisen.

But mainly its the PHP code highlighting that makes me like it, it helps me pinpoint problems with my code faster and makes it easier to see what lines are a part of which chunks and that.

I only recently started using Dreamweaver though, before then I just used Notepad++ xD

-Luke.

gamerdude

Reaction score
I user Dreamweaver but use the code window more than a little. I like the split view so I can make quick edits to the code and see the result in the layout. I basically couldn't live without Dreamweaver or without the code view.

x10cyberman

Reaction score
I'm using linux for web development. I'm using Quanta Plus (KDE) or Blue Fish (Gnome). Generally , I write the code manually and I mix it with anothers tools for graphics designs (like GIMP) or for Image Maps (KImageMapEditor in KDE).

Pinto

Reaction score
I like to use GIMP to draw the graphics.
Then,I get someone to help me code.
Then I draw some mre raphics.Thenn its done.Mostly.

struni

Reaction score
I am using Adobe GoLive for my website development. It is powerful,
yet easy to use. and I use Photoshop and PhotoImpact to create and
edit images.

souradipm

Reaction score
I hack some scripts to make my website and make the images with the GIMP.

I took some forum software and a portal, used a bridge and edited in my own stuff. I then made a logo. Now I'm improving on all of these things.

Last edited:

stahn.universe

Reaction score
Dreamweaver/FrontPage whatever, they all suck. They all add some strange codes to the file.

So it's best to use w3schools.com, Notepad2 or Notepad++, Firefox+Firebug or Opera+Firefly and pwn some websites.

For graphics, Photoshop and XnView, because Photoshop resizing filters suck.

Nathan H

Reaction score
I use good old fassioned notepad and ie8 works great and now i got 3 domains and 3 different sites.

leperkuan

Reaction score
I use dreamweaver to layout my sites then i jump in it for adding contents and cleaning up the code a little big. very nice tool maybe if i knew more about it i would stick to dreamweaver.