website data not refreshing after ftp upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodmanjd

Reaction score
Hi. My website data is not being refreshed after ftp upload. When I press refresh(f5) on browser, it still shows old data. FTP uploads are successful. When I view the files on cpanel, sometimes their current, sometimes not. I can open/view the file through the browser and they are always accurate. These are small 5k gif files. Any help appreciated.

caftpx10

Reaction score
This is likely due to Varnish Cache (server-side caching).
You could disable this for your site if you frequently update it, though it's recommended to have it enabled when you're done and it's ready for the outside world.

You could either wait the server-side cache to expire or disable, refresh, and maybe enable again to store things into cache once again.

rodmanjd

Reaction score
caftpx10,
Thanks much for the response. I figured it was some caching issue at the server level. To test the theory, how do I get it disabled?

rodmanjd

Reaction score
Thanks again:
got it. there is no .htaccess file in the directory stated. I looked in all directories then. File not found. Had to go to "legacy" file manager to check "show hidden files", but don't know if it took. Looked on internet on how to create one, since have never done it. now know how. I am under the free hosting level and wondering if one is allowed to do this. And if one already exists for every account on the server. Also read that if it is a "wordpress" hosting site, wordpress will edit the file after being loaded onto the server.

rodmanjd

Reaction score
I just went ahead and tried it. Didn't help any. Still old data long after 5 minutes per =>"The default caching time is 5 seconds for dynamic content and 5 minutes for static." from the x10 document. I did put it in the public_html directory as stated. Maybe it needs to be in the root, as I see there are other "." files in the root. I have proved that it is an x10 server issue/setting, cause I was at comcast for 10 years and this issue was none existent there. Also was at another host and it wasn't present there also.

rodmanjd

Reaction score
I just went ahead and tried it. Didn't help any. Still old data long after 5 minutes per =>"The default caching time is 5 seconds for dynamic content and 5 minutes for static." from the x10 document. I did put it in the public_html directory as stated. Maybe it needs to be in the root, as I see there are other "." files in the root. I have proved that it is an x10 server issue/setting, cause I was at comcast for 10 years and this issue was none existent there. Also was at another host and it wasn't present there also.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Maybe it needs to be in the root, as I see there are other "." files in the root
those dot files above the [ public_html ] folder are for the 'system' - any [ .htaccess ] S/B in the [ public_html ] folder or sub-folders in it

rodmanjd

Reaction score
Its working now. I must not have waited long enough for the server to cache the file up or whatever. All is well. Thanks all for your help.

rodmanjd

Reaction score
Now I have to add just one more thing, cause it just happened again. Getting the "552 disk full - please upload later" errors for the ftp server. You guys are aware of this issue. Your admin did some action on it a week ago or so, cause it was a hard failure. Was reported to us as resolved, but now this occurs on a regular basis twice a day. Happens in the morning and again at night. Is there going to be a final resolution to it, please?

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Was reported to us as resolved, but now this occurs on a regular basis twice a day
as this thread is about [ website data not refreshing after ftp upload ]
it would be better if you start a new thread about the "552 disk full - please upload later" issue

Status
Not open for further replies.