What do you look for in a game?

WoodsballJesse

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend about gaming in general and we got on the subject of what we look for in a game. We had pretty differing criteria for a game purchase; he chooses games almost solely based on their popularity where as I generally choose games based on interest in the content, past experience with the developer, or really cool gameplay concepts.

So, my question to all of you is what do you look for when you are purchasing a game?

nexhunter

Reaction score
i look for the publisher, if it is online, if myis has forum or tournament for it, if i played the beta or not, system requirements, and lastly if i have to pay monthly or not to use multilayer if it supports it

KingOfTheEmblem

Reaction score
There are some many aspects of a game that influence my opinion, and i will say straight up none of them are graphics. Graphics dont make a game -_-

Plot: It had better intrest me and better keep me intrested or i will just trade it in :D

Characters: Whats a game without characters. Without characters you have nothing.

Setting: Ever one never includes the setting cuz its weak, well when you can take a game and say wow thats just amazing it makes you want to play it more.

Music: Most good games have good music. There is some games that dont and it can ruin a mood of the game.

Want to know a real biggie for me? CAMERA CONTROL If you cant use it thenn you are stuck in places where you need a different veiw you just dont get.

But most important it has to be enjoyable if the game isnt enjoyable then whats the point in playing it, if it justs blows hardcore.

Equator

Reaction score
The first thing I look for is the graphics. I just can't get sucked into a game if I keep on staring at the little design flaws or the likes. It has to at least be semi-ly good quality, nothing perfect.

Next thing is gameplay. It has to be easy to move around, and easy to control. Good gameplay means a good game.

Plot. What really drags my attention into games is a good, well thought out plot. You get this down, then the game is pretty much set.

Now, characters. Even if the game has the worst plotline ever to be thought up, as long as the characters pose interesting qualities, it can keep me entertained for a while longer.

There absolutely has to be camera control. It's just so much harder without it, and so much easier with it.

~Riddle~

Soaxin

Reaction score
Well, I look for something I know i would like. I mean come on if I don't like it i wont want to play it. Also It has to be very popular if it isn't then it probably sucks.

naynesh

Reaction score
Quality eye catching cover,which stands out.A game which always keeps you on the move and a game that always keeps you on the brink of destruction.

savager

Reaction score
i only buy games that are online, have good interest and the genre is fantasy or shooter or adventure other then that i wont buy any other game.

enraged

Reaction score
Prioritized:
1. Gameplay
2. Plot/Story
3. Audio/Soundtrack
4. Graphics
5. Replay Value

Clinton

Reaction score
Just like others mentioned:
Gameplay, Story...Graphics are a nice bonus. I'm all about the immersive plot though.

omba123

Reaction score
I love rpgs, main good things about a game are customization in characters, also the quality and playablility,graphics dont matter as much anymore for some reason

Horuseye

Reaction score
I love rpgs too, preferably mmo. What i look for firstly is character development, if the races or classes or the skillsystem are boring, or there isn't any depth in the advancement of the characters i won't find the game interesting even though it might have the nicest graphics or the sweetest music. If the music is bad i just turn it off and play my own music, so gamemusic has very little relevance to me. The world and the storyline is important for the gameexperience, it need substance and relevant content. If it's a mmogame the teamplay has to be developed, otherwise why bother making it mmo? Graphics is less important, but rather no graphics at all than bad graphics.

Shenlone

Reaction score
I generally look at games for the story, and the system they use. Normally by reading reviews on the net, I'll either gain or lose interest in a game. Generally i trust some developers enough, such as Blizzard to keep quality and story on a nice elevated level, so i don't read reviews too much.

ethraax

Reaction score
I look for... well just how fun I think it is. I try to stay away from "hardcore" online games (ie EQII), or pretty much anything people play not for fun. I played WoW for a couple years, and now I only play it with friends to screw around. The most important part about a game is how well you can screw around in it. If you get penalized too heavily for doing something stupid, then it's a bad game.

For example, take HL2. I was having fun destroying all the boxes. Then I realized afterwards that I needed them. I quit because I didn't want to restart quite a fair ways back for having fun.

Take Portal though. They went through and made sure there was NO way to make a puzzle unsolvable (respawn cubes upon disappearing, or even if you threw the cubes out of reach they'd make sure you could solve it anyway).

Games where you need to cheat to have fun because the game itself is so bad are also horrible (including HL2, again... I really hated that game...)

brittain

Reaction score
i love simulation but my favourate would have to be first hand shooting game but online so things like counter strike :D

eternal-empire

Reaction score
Realism, Interesting Gameplay, and needs some use of a brain(nit in the nerdish way...) brain as in...For playing a war strategy game, you need to know how to manouevre an army...When playing halo, you need to know how when to shoot, when to jump, how to dodge...General brain and smartness...