What do you think about trusted computing...

adamlinux

Reaction score
I would be really interested to hear everyone's opinions about trusted computing and how they think it will effect them and others if it isn't stopped. If you don't know what trusted computing is, like alot of people I talk to, then you should check out this article about it, http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html , it was very informative and disturbing...:happysad:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
This is certainly a DRM topic that I 100% don't agree with. No DRM or you don't get my money. Simple as that.

adamlinux

Reaction score
I agree, the entire policy is foolish, in the end it only ends up hurting the average honest user, and is only a small inconvenience to the people it's meant to stop. If this happens and is wide spread, I'll prolly have to switch to linux for good, hopefully it dosen't work out like DRM.

xpodit

Reaction score
You could almost say that I couldn't live without a computer in close proximity for more than a day, but if they went to the trusted computing, I would learn to live without FAST! The idea is insanely uncouth, just when "the P.C. is personal again," they are thinking of taking that all away?

adamlinux

Reaction score
Yes, Well even if it does happen there will be a thing in the computer, which are already in some of the newer laptops from what I hear, but anyways its a chip called a Fritz chip that lets this all work and if you run Linux or BSD it will not work and you will still have your "personal computer", minus all of the games of course...:happysad:

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
You could almost say that I couldn't live without a computer in close proximity for more than a day, but if they went to the trusted computing, I would learn to live without FAST! The idea is insanely uncouth, just when "the P.C. is personal again," they are thinking of taking that all away?

That's HP's slogan as of recently. Microsoft doesn't really have much of a common slogan.

adam.k

Reaction score
Interesting article. Not something I agree with at all,
I think that people should be able to run what they
want on their computer and do whatever they want.
They shouldn't be subject to whatever restrictions the
manufacturer or government imposes on what you can
and cannot do on your computer. Unless it breaks current
law.