What do you usually do to test out new Html code?

jkenny

Reaction score
I don't usually like to screw with my real web page, so there are things I have done to check out stuff I want to add. One of the things I did was just make a "Test.htm" that is usually left blank. This usually takes a longer time than other things though. Another thing I can do is from Notepad ++ I can select run in FireFox or Internet Explorer. The last, and probably most practical, is one of the forums that I regularly visit has a feature called user pages now. That allows each of the forum members to create their own user page with a sub domain of the forum website.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
When I test HTML code I always run it offline locally (I do my coding in notepad, not notepad++), and just open the files in my browser. If it looks like it'll work I'll upload it (renamed obviously) to my hosting account here with x10 and I'll test it online

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
I usually edit in Notepad 2, hit Ctrl + A, then Ctrl + C, then go to cPanel's file editor and hit Ctrl + A, then Ctrl + V. Then hit tab and enter, then Ctrl + Tab, then F5 (Refresh). (In Firefox by the way.)

Once you get the shortcuts down, it is pretty quick. :)

Torch

Reaction score
I do my code writing in ConTEXT, than save it on my local server and test in IE7, Firefox, Opera and Netscape. If it looks and works fairly the same in all of them, I upload it using same method as Bryon ;)

k12onos

Reaction score
hey do you guys remember this thing named Microsoft Front Page :D

its coming pretty handy if you want to test a html code quickly. just copy paste then preview. it happens less than 5 seconds :)

another good editor is Crimson Editor. a search would be good to find it. it has line number and all sorts of thing you need for html, php, etc.

Torch

Reaction score
Front Page uses IE's rendering engine, so it's the same as testing it in IE just slower ;)

k12onos

Reaction score
Torch said:
Front Page uses IE's rendering engine, so it's the same as testing it in IE just slower ;)
oww thats something i didnt know :D

im just too lazy to save it to a file then open it in my browser. My Documents folder in my computer is getting pretty messed up :D i was planning to clean it up just now :)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
k12onos said:
hey do you guys remember this thing named Microsoft Front Page :D

its coming pretty handy if you want to test a html code quickly. just copy paste then preview. it happens less than 5 seconds :)

another good editor is Crimson Editor. a search would be good to find it. it has line number and all sorts of thing you need for html, php, etc.

MSFrontPage? Blegh, worst WYSIYWG editor in the world.. I'm glad I customized the options in the installation process just so I wouldn't get that program lol. Besides, FF opens much faster for me than any other MS based office suite

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Think my method was mentioned by someone else already, but here it is anyways:

ConTEXT to edit, save to local server (phpdev423), test locally, looks good, put it in the x10 subfolder in local server.

When done editing files for the night, open smartftp, upload all files in te x10 folder, make sure they're working, then delete the folder.

Handy little system imo. Not as streamlined as other methods can be, but it works for me so I'm happy.

Oh, and FrontPage? I just call it Micro$oft hell. You know it can't be good when the teacher for the WebDevelopment class gets 3 days into FrontPage, says to hell with it, and installs a multi-license copy of dreamweaver on every machine...

[EDIT] Side note, I've got the keyboard shortcuts set up in ConTEXT to open firefox if I hit f12 (automatically opens the right url and all), and IE if I hit f11. Never hit f11 though. IE doesn't like my website, which is fine cause I don't like IE.

Last edited:

tenkabuto

Reaction score
I save it to an html file and open it in FF. Uploading not required and its easy.

Chris S

Retired
Reaction score
i don't code html that often but i have a local server where i test it. so basically i save and then test and when i get around to it i upload

oab

Reaction score
tenkabuto said:
I save it to an html file and open it in FF. Uploading not required and its easy.

haha exactly, its html were dealing with! its not rocket science!

mgw854

Reaction score
I use SharePoint Designer to make sure it works first, then run it in IE7, then post it in either a protected testing directory, or in more extreme cases:
Make a CSS file, call it you.css. The first two lines should look like this:
Code:
.xxx{display:none;}
.warn{color:white;}
You can change the color, or even make it a different display, it doesn't matter. Then make a second file, and call it me.css. The .xxx and .warn attributes should be switched (so .warn has the display:none attribute). Then type in the following on your HTML header:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
@import url('http://example.com/you.css');
@import url('C:\me.css');
</style>
Then put you.css on the server, and keep me.css on your computer. Then you can use
span classes so that only you will be able to see things!

jaint

Reaction score
Yeah I use Frontpage as well, mostly to design the basic style of the site. It's much easier for when your trying out various colors and messing around with table widths. Doing all that in notepad would be tedious, and since I don't wish to remember all the colors of the rgb rainbow, it becomes much easier to use frontpage for that stuff. But after designing the page, I generally open it in notepad to code the programmable parts (php, JS) or to modify stuff that Frontpage will mess up or won't let me edit.

Cubeform

Reaction score
Notepad all the way. FrontPage is a horrible WYSIWYG editor. They use JavaScript code for "return-to-top" links, for goodness sake! Somehow all WYSIWYG editors mess up your code like crazy, except for, say Dreamweaver. If I really want to use a Microsoft editor, I'd use Expression Web Designer or Visual Web Developer Express (although the latter is ASP.NET centric)...

jaint

Reaction score
Frontpage, as I said, is good for designing your page it's simple to use and quick in terms of making alterations to design elements. My experience with Dreamweaver is that the program was meant for very inexperienced users, the GUI was obfuscated with too much clutter - too many buttons, too much exceed code gets thrown in to the html (I really don't want their meta tags in my code, sure I can easily remove it - but I despise any software that wishes to silently advertise itself in my work).

jensen

Reaction score
Code it in notepad
Save as html
Open with IE 7

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
Code it in notepad/Dreamweaver (Whichever i have open at the time)

Save it into C:\apache2\htdocs - my local testing server with php, perl, and lots of other scripting parsers :)